I'll Look After You

Chapter 32:

NIALL

I didn't know what I was doing here. I just felt so alone and betrayed. How could Harry do that to me? We've been best friends for so long, and he told me he liked me that one time I asked. But he lied. It was all just lies. And I did love him, and my heart feels so heavy right now. But why did I drive here?

I was in Erik's driveway, still sitting in my car like I have been for a while now. My phone kept ringing, Harry trying to call me, so I shut it off and threw it in the glove compartment. Tears were still pouring from my eyes and the sky was getting darker. I felt like a complete and utter mess. I didn't even want to move from the car.

I jumped when I heard another car pulling up beside mine, seeing Erik in the driver seat. I didn't see his car here, but I assumed it was in his garage again. Just my fucking luck.

He looked over at me in concern as he got out of his car. I was going to turn my car on and drive away, too scared to even talk to him anymore, but he must have noticed because he came and opened my car door. "Niall, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

I chuckled as I nodded, trying my best to hide all of my true emotions. "Yeah. Sorry. I don't know why I came here." I said, my voice sounding thick from crying, and I hated it. "I should... I should go." I faintly whispered. I was hoping he would close the door and let me leave, but I had no such luck.

He reached over and took my keys out of the ignition before he held his hand out to me. "C'mon. Come inside. We can talk in the house." He said kindly. A part of me didn't want to go. I didn't want to talk to him, not after his rejection. The thing was, seeing Harry with someone else- Louis to be specific- hurt, but it did make me realize one thing. I didn't feel like I couldn't breath because the only person I thought of was Erik. Why? I think I might know.

I finally took his hand, accepting his help. Maybe we could keep this professional. Patient's family to doctor. No special feelings or relationships. Just simply helping me stay calm and at ease with my situation. Still, even as I thought it, I knew that wouldn't happen. I got tingles from just holding his hand for fuck sake.

He led us inside, closing the door behind us, and I stood there, looking around just like the first time. Everything was the same, but I felt like we weren't. I mean, I kissed him last time I was here, and he just pushed it aside as me being confused. Sadlt, that hurt worse than hearing Harry tell Louis he loved him. But why? Why did this all even happen?

"You can sit down. Want anything to drink or eat?" He asked, as if this was a casual visit, and I wanted to laugh at that, but I was still hurting. I shook my head as I walked over to his couch, taking a seat and rubbing my eyes a bit, getting any tears still there out.

"Niall, what happened?" He asked as he walked over to me, sitting on the couch and turning his body towards me, offering up all of his attention. But, hell, I didn't know how to tell him the full truth, so I gave the shortened version. It was all he needed to really know.

"H-Harry ch-cheated on me." I said, feeling tears well up in my eyes again. Erik's face fell, and I saw sorrow flash through his eyes as he pulled me into a hug unexpectantly. I felt little tingles all over my body as his arms wrapped around me, warmth shooting through me. "I... I mean, I know I cheated, too." I said, feeling him tense up for a second. "But it wasn't like I did it continuously like that. I think I get it though. It's someone from his- from our past. They loved each other. They still do, and I know that, but it still hurts like hell." I said. "I don't know. Maybe all of this bad stuff keeps happening to me because I deserve it. Maybe I did something wrong." I mumbled.

"What?" I heard Erik ask. He held me away from him so he could look me in the eyes, and I was captivated as I saw anger simmering in his grey eyes. Anger and passion. He shook his head as his eyebrows creased down and he looked at me seriously.