thirteen•

Getting to have Lexa sleep next to me has made my nights so much better. I was able to actually get sleep for the first time in a week. Lexa stayed most of the day on Sunday but went home when mom came home from the hospital. When she got back she went right into the shower and didn't come out for a long time. So long I started to get worried, so I went into the bathroom to check on her.

What I found scared me. Mom was still dressed in her scrubs, which had large red stains on them, and was completely zoned out.

"Mom?" I asked and opened the shower door. Heat from the scolding hot water hit me and I turned the heat down. She looked up at me and I couldn't tell if she was crying or if it was just the water from the shower.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I asked and lowered myself to her level.

"No, I'm not okay Jenna, not by a long shot." Mom said and leaned her head back.

"What happened last night?" I asked.

That's when mom really started crying. She was out of the water stream now and I reach up and turned it off so I could get right next to her. She explained how bad the pile up was. At least 50 cars were involved, most of the people didn't survive. She described the chaos of the emergency department and how blood was everywhere. For most of the night she has seen it all, from large wounds that needed stitches to serious lacerations, a patient she had even had to have both of his legs amputated blow the knee, he is only 15.

Just when she thought things were calming down a family of five was rushed in. They were the last people mom helped. The parents weren't okay they were taken away by the best doctors they have. Then came the kids. Three girls, the oldest is 17, then 12 and the youngest is 7.

All three of the were pretty banged up. Mom took on the oldest daughter while two other doctors took over the younger two sisters. The oldest girl had a large piece of glass sticking out of stomach. Mom did everything she could, and in the end she was able to save the girl. She would be in the hospital for a good couple of weeks but she will be fine.

As for the girls family, things went from okay to worse to horrible. At first things were looking good for all of the members of the family. But as time went on mom learned that the youngest girl passed. Practically right after the youngest went, the middle daughter followed right behind her sister. Mom waited around all night to hear information on the girls parents. The girls father died on the table after a 5-hour surgery to trying and repair damage to his heart. And the mother seemed to come out of her surgery okay, she was stable and in recovery for a little while. Mom was going to leave for the night when there was a code red in the girls room. Code red means heart attack. Needless to say the girls mother didn't make it.

So we are now here at this moment. Mom sitting drenched in the shower stall in pain because this car accident brought back memories of my accident. How the EMT's wheeled my father and I in and she saw us. Mom is in a state of shock right now and I don't know how long it's going to take for her to get out of it. I quickly got her up and made her shower in cold water.

While she was in the shower I called Lexa. At first I thought she wasn't going to answer. Before she did answer there was a knock on the front door. I quickly ran downstairs and pulled the door open to find a pained looking Lexa standing in front of me with Delma and Annalise standing behind her.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Lexa asked forcing herself inside my house.

"I'm fine, what are you doing here?" I asked confused.

"I felt your pain and I couldn't tell if it was because of a physical injury or something mental, what happened?" Lexa asked as she looked over over.