Chapter Thirty Seven

Dedicated to 7classicnovel - This is a special dedication for a special reader. She constantly votes, comments and keeps me motivated to write more. Thank you so much X

Silence thickened the air as we all sat quietly eating dinner around the small, fold out table lined with a sleek white table cloth. Mia and I both jerked our eyes between the brooding Chase and Caleb as we silently awaited any kind of sound from them.

"This pork roast is even better than the ones you used to cook me Belle" Caleb announced, his words cutting through the air like a knife.

I could tell instantly that Caleb was trying to cause a stir from Chase and rushed to thank him for his compliment.

"This is nothing" Chase spat at Caleb, his kind words underlined with pure hatred. "I can't get enough of her chocolate covered strawberries!"

"Are they the same as the ones you used to make for me?" Caleb rebutted. "With hot, melted chocolate... we used to make such a mess didn't we?" he laughed a sarcastic wail which was greeted by silence from the rest of the table.

Chase sat heavily brooding eyes on Calebs as he held his steak knife tightly in his grip. "She's an amazing cook" he spat through clenched teeth. "Amazing at damn well everything"

"Yes" Caleb replied in sarcastic agreement, "She really is isn't she."

A bang came from Chase's direction that caused us all to jolt in shock. "I'm finished. Are you finished?" he asked me as I was between bites of scrumptious pork. "Mmmm" I hummed as he took my half completed meal from in front of me before moving to take Mia and Caleb's from under their noses.

Without a moment to wail in my grief from losing my delicious meal, Mia moved to chime toward Caleb in an effort to defuse the situation.

"Well, I guess that's that then. I'll walk you to the door Caleb" she smiled as she stood from the table to usher him from the room.

"I thought Belle could walk me" he replied with a look of anticipation in my direction.

Mia's eyes grew as they fell on me as though warning me against seeing Caleb out alone.

"I'll walk you both" I replied graciously smiling as I did.

Caleb gave a small look of disappointment before following Mia toward the front doorway and stopping to turn and meet my eyes with his.

"It was so great to see you again Belle" he whispered as he moved in to softly kiss me on the cheek. As he slowly moved back to his position, I noticed his eyes looking behind me in a devilish stare. Puzzled by his expression, I turned to see Chase staring with a look of hate directly at Caleb, his arms crossed as though he was holding them close to his body in an effort to not reach out and strangle him.

I turned, annoyed by Caleb's behavior and made my way next to Chase to cuddle into his body, releasing his arms from their grip and forcing them to cradle me in a half hug as we watched him leave the house.

Mia moved awkwardly to close the door and stuttered that she would get a start on the dishes before disappearing from the room.

"I'm so sorry baby" I soothed toward Chase in an effort to calm him. "I can see now how he would have made you feel. It's not okay. I'm actually annoyed at him."

Chase's hard expression softened with my words and pulled me tighter into his body. "You're mine" he whispered before leaning down to place a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"And you're mine" I replied, holding him tightly as I returned a kiss to his soft, subtle lips. "You have absolutely nothing to worry about you nutcase" I soothed with a slight smile.

"I'll take that" he replied through a large smile before kissing me passionately, picking me up with ease and carrying me upstairs to our bedroom.

I hope you're enjoying the story!

Hit the Star at the bottom left if you think it's worth a vote!

X