Chapter Fourteen

*** This Chapter will be told in Chase's Perspective ***

As Annabelle turned to lead the way to the exit I watched as her hair fell over her face. "She's going to fall!" I thought as I rushed to catch her in my arms. I was furious. How could I let Antonio back into my life like this? Look what I have done. This poor girl was nothing but a pawn in an evil game to him. I wanted to squash him like an ant under my shoe. I tried to contain my fury as I held Annabelle in my arms so I didn't do anything that could hurt her. As she nuzzled her face into my neck, a strong smell of passionfruit and strawberry released from her hair and paralyzed me to the spot.

"Just get her to the car" I thought as I pushed through the now heavily crowded bar. I made my way to the alleyway next to the bar and placed her gently in the back of the car which had Leonard holding the door open in anticipation for my arrival. "Get us home right away Leonard!" I snapped in stress as he closed the door behind me.

As the car moved left to right, Annabelle's head wobbled from side to side. I gently moved her body to lean on my chest in an effort to save her from any further injury. I looked down at her sleeping face and gently moved her hair from over her eyes. "I'll kill him!" I thought as the rage crept back into my body.

I took my phone from my pocket and dialed Lacey.

"Hi Chase" Lacey answered

"I need you to call Doctor Morgan immediately. Tell him to meet me at the house. We have a young woman with a heavy blow to the head. I'm also going to need you to come in to work tonight. Sorry to take you away from the kids but I need you now Lacey" I stated, heavy with panic

"Don't give it another thought, I'm on it" Lacey snapped to attention and hung up the phone.

____________________

As we made our way up the driveway to my home I could see that Doctor Morgan had already arrived and was patiently waiting for us at the entrance way. Once the car stopped I made my way out of the car and ran to the other side to retrieve Annabelle from the seat. We entered the living room and Doctor Morgan stated "Gently lay her on the couch, watch her head" I did just as he said, trying to hide that my hands were shaking with adrenaline. I took the blanket that was strewn over the arm of the couch and pulled it up to her waist.

"Good" said Doctor Morgan "Now let me have a look at her". He took a case that sat next to him and opened it taking a small torch from its interior. Before looking back to Annabelle, he turned his head to look at me. "Chase, you need to go and relax please. She is going to be okay. Have a cup of tea and take some deep breaths". He turned back to Annabelle, opening her eyelids and shining the torch back and forth over her eyes.

I exited the living room and made my way to the kitchen. I paced back and forth as I replayed the scenario with Antonio back in my mind. "I'm going to kill him!!" I yelled as thoughts of him referring to me as "Little one" and his face as he was licking his lips whilst he studied Annabelle like a piece of meat flew to mind. Lacey ran into the room with a look of shock on her face "What's going on?!" she demanded, her brow creasing with concern. I stood breathing heavily as I clenched my jaw in anger. "What? What is it Chase? Lacey asked, worried. I looked at Lacey directly in her eyes as I breathed "Antonio". All colour drained from Lacey's face as she held her hand to her mouth and gasped in fear. "I thought he was gone" she said as she moved her hand to my arm in comfort. "Apparently not" I snapped as I shook my head in disgust. "Can you imagine how I felt when I saw her" pointing to the living room in Annabelle's direction "with him?!"

"Oh Chase" Lacey breathed with a worried expression.

I heard a scream from the living room and immediately rushed to Annabelle's side. I saw Doctor Morgan trying to hush her as she closed her eyes and relaxed into the couch once more. I walked toward her, unsure as to what to do. "Chase" I heard her breathe as she settled back into a heavy sleep. I stood frozen to the spot as my eyes grew in surprise. "She's dreaming of me?" I thought, feeling intrigued and worried at the same time. "I can't have her growing any feelings for me" I thought to myself. "It will only hurt her. She's been through enough and, who knows what more will come now that Antonio has set his sights on her. This is my fault. I have to keep her safe".