Opening Up

Elena's POV

I sat on the couch, leaning on Garroth's shoulder. My mind was racing... but deep down, I knew he would be fine.
"Emma, I'm sorry all this is happening on your birthday," Lucinda sighed
Emmas face went pale and Vylad rubbed her back, he knows too?
"What is wrong with her?" Dante asked Vylad, worried.
"Uh well..." Vylad bites his lip.
So it must effect him too.
"Can you guys please just focus on Laurance now..." Emma says changing the subject.
"Uh yeah, so I think Vylad can lead us where Laurance is and we will have Emma, Kawaii~chan, and Gwen in a hiding spot, ready to help anyone who is too hurt to continue, me, Dante, and Lucinda taking out guards on there way in and Elena and Vylad will get Laurance. Zane and Travis, you two stay with Emma, Kawaii~chan, and Gwen and make sure they don't get hurt," Garroth says
"Yeah I think that would work, there is a cave by the fortress. They can hide there," Vylad says.
"Great lets go!" I say, getting up but Garroth grabs me and sits me back down. I groan.
"We can't go yet he will be expecting us it's too dangerous," Garroth says
"But we have to save him!" I complain.
"He will be fine, he's a strong guy," Garroth smiles.
"We should get some sleep. Vylad, you can sleep in Laurance's bed for now," he says, standing up.
Everyone went to their rooms except me, Vylad, Zane, Garroth, and Emma.
"We are finally together again" Garroth says, love in his eyes.
"Now that it's just us, Emma, what's so bad about today? Please tell us, we are family," I ask in a soft voice.
Vylad was comforting her. She sighed and looked at Vylad
"Half family," he sighed.
"Wait, does this have something to do with how we are not fully related? We are still family!" Garroth says
"N-no it's not that, today is....*sigh* do you...remember a couple years ago when me and Vylad used to...leave on my birthday?" Emma asks.
"Yeah... you used to do it every year, but you stopped, why?". Zane asked. It took me by surprise...him..caring?
"W-we used to visit our dad b-but the last year we went, w-we were playing a board game a-and..." she started to cry and Vylad hugged her.
"The window broke. We were very confused and a bunch of soldiers came storming in, the yelled to 'grab the Ro'maeves'. Our dad tried to protect us but they killed him right in front of us.." Vylad finished for her.
"It's all my fault I was the one who asked Mom if we could see him just once and that was why he died... because we are Ro'maeves," Emma cried.
"It's not your fault..." Garroth sighed
"Yes it is! Have you not noticed this Garroth, everyone we have ever been friends with or even talked to has gotten hurt! Laurance, Travis, my dad, Mom, the thousands of villagers in O'khasis!" Emma whisper/yelled.
Everyone was silent. The silence broke by the sound of a door opening.
"Is everything o-" Travis looks at Emma, then to me.
"Did she?" he asked. I nod.
"Oh, so what happened?" he whispered to me
"Her dad died today. She thinks it's her fault," I whisper.
"Oh,Emma it's not your fault trust me, I have been through the same. Blaming yourself makes things worse but it gets better. Same with you Vylad," Travis says, turning to them.
Emma stood up and hugged Travis, still crying.
"Hey what happened to the careless, bubbly Emma that I know?" he asks and she smiles.
It's strange, Travis can always cheer her up. I'm glad she has a friend that will be there for her when I can't.
"I'm starving, can you make your amazing muffins?" Travis asks.
Emma giggles.
"Sure!" she says.
"How could I not have thought of that, baking always cheers her up!" Zane mumbled to himself.
"Zane,while we are getting things off our chest, why are you so....independent?" I ask as I watch Garroth, Vylad, Emma, and Travis throw flour like idiots.
"I dont know?" he growled.
"Well what's your best guess?" I say he clearly knew.
"It's just...Garroth is the oldest and that means future lord of O'khasis, and then you are his twin so you have your weird special twin bond cuteness thing, then Vylad is super smart and Mom's favorite out of the boys and Emma is the youngest, the cutest out of the bunch. I'm stuck as the middle. What does that make me...nothing, so why even try?" he sighed.
I was surprised that he opened up to me.
"Uh... I mean because I feel like it!" he sort of shouts.
"Zane, you're not nothing. The middle child means that you have older siblings that love you and younger ones that are special and we all love you no matter what," I say. He was clearly blushing under his mask.
"I-uh....I'm sorry for trying to...kill you before..." he says quietly.
"It's fine... that's what siblings are for!" I laugh.
I could see in his eyes, he was smiling and not a evil one, it was actually a nice one. The moment broke when a ball of flour hit Zane right in the face.
"Oh you're gonna pay for that!" he said, getting up and running after Vylad.
He joined the flour fight.
I slouched down watching them. All I could think about was Laurance...it was weird. I wasn't sad or mad... I felt more...curious. Why did he even like me, what was he thinking about now? My mind was rushing with questions.