Your Love Messes Me Up 24 - A Moment

Feeling a vibration in my pocket, it snapped me out of my daze and I returned my concentration to the whiteboard in front.

Taking my phone out discreetly and saw that I was a text from Aiden who was sitting at the last row, two rows behind me.

‘Daydreaming ‘bout me?’

He hit the nail on the head!!

Resting on my right hand where my elbow was propped against the table, I tried to ignore what I just saw and focusing on the lesson at hand like a good student.

‘I can see your ears turning red though. You know that silence means consent?’

That’s what his next text said…

CRASH AND BURN…That’s how my efforts on trying to pay attention to the lessons are like…

I can’t even deny it cause it’s true!

‘Aww, Summer’s going to ignore me?’

Reading this text…Why is he referring to me in the third person?

I know this is Lit class but that’s not what we’re going through!

Endure it! It’s just awhile more before class ends; it’ll be over before you know it!

Well, that’s what my brain is telling me.

But my heart is telling me otherwise!

By the end of the lesson, I had five more unread messages. Texts like ‘Aw, Summer’s giving me the cold shoulder…’ and ‘I’m still waiting for the answer to my first question ;)’

By the end of the day I was scared and I want run over to the dance studio for practice, I don’t trust myself with answers concerning Aiden anymore…Considering it’s at the stage where I’m daydreaming of him in class…

“Wait! Summer hold on!” He called out holding onto my arm when he got to me, making sure I wouldn’t run or escape.

Darn…I wasn’t fast enough…I made it to the hallway where everyone was making their way out. How on earth did he spot me in the crowd?

“When’s the next time you’re free? We can hang out with the guys, if you’d like you can ask Addy and Izzy along. It’s been awhile since we last met up outside of school”

“I’m free on Friday?” I replied making it short. Unsure of what might come out of my mouth…

“I’ll see you on Friday then” he smiled “Oh, don’t drive too. I’ll be your chauffeur.”

“Aiden Williams, my chauffeur?” I repeated, chuckling as I shook my head. How on earth does a guy from probably the richest family on the planet employ himself as my chauffeur?

Pulling on my arm, he pulled me into his embrace.

Squirming and with my hands on his chest, putting a little space between us, I was trying to push myself out.

But he held on tighter, swaying a little and his collarbone bumping into my forehead. Peeking behind him, I can’t believe that I forgot that we were in a crowded hallway and he was protecting me from the oncoming people!

I know that we’re a prestigious school and all but when it comes to going home and leaving school, everyone is the same.

Standing still and letting the people pass, I buried my face into his jacket. I have never been so thankful for extra layering…I’m a little – wait that’s an understatement - so embarrassed of being seen like this, of well…being in a guy’s arms…I mean, I’m not a big fan of PDA…

Strangely enough, it was a quiet moment though we were in midst of a crowd…his hand is on the small of my back and the other is resting on my head, running his fingers through my hair…

It’s comfortable in his arms; I haven’t felt this out of a dance routine before…

 I know…

 I’m a deprived soul right?

I’m really feeling this right here and right now, I’m not in a character or a role for a routine.

I’m experiencing this as me …the warmth his hand on my back and the feeling of his fingers sifting through my hair…they’re all real…

This is fully me and not bits and pieces of me I let loose in my dance. It’s not a brief moment like what a routine has…

It was A moment.

And I feel so tired; realising my fatigue only now…I never had things so frantic before. My muscles ache and I’m mentally tired but I still have to push on with everything… I didn’t realise it until now…

“Aiden…” I whispered.

“Yeah?” he answered softly, resting his forehead against mine.

“I don’t know how long I can continue this balancing act…everything is so overwhelming I –”

“It’ll be alright. You can manage, I know it”

Caught in the moment, I didn’t realise that the hallway cleared up nor my arms that were wrapped around his waist, hidden underneath his jacket. Being cold, I clung to his body warmth as well…

Literally, there was no space left between us.

Realising this, my breath hitched up a few notches. My heart beat against my chest a lot harder.

Leaning a little forward, Aiden whispered into my ear “Summer, I want to spend as much of our little time with you” his hot breath tickling me “I didn’t know it was this hard not seeing you for so long, not talking to you for so long…not being able to try to hold you like this…” he said, resting and somewhat nuzzling me with his nose at the crook of my neck

“Be glad I’m a hugs person. If not I’d shoot you down for trying…” I said rather unconvincingly, still in his arms with mine around his waist.

Laughing at my feeble attempt of a threat, he countered “If you do, I would break out into a song and sing ‘STOP! In the name of love’ would you still shoot me down?”

“Nice try, I haven’t said that pretty four letter word yet. So you can’t use the name of love”

“Bummer…Well you will soon enough” he said smiling.

“Hmph”

“Don’t you have dance practice today?”

“Practice?” I repeated, the word sounding a little foreign to me at the moment then it hit me like a ton of bricks, or maybe Britney Spear’s ‘hit me baby one more time’ even. “Oh shoot! I forgot!”

Looking at the clock in the hallway, I figure that if I leave now I’ll be able to make it on time…

Laughing at my forgetfulness, Aiden let go and walked with me.

Figuring that while we’re at it I might as well answer to his earlier question…

“Um…Aiden…” I asked, a little awkwardly.

“Yeah?” he replied, this moment, he kept his hands to himself, not wanting to push his luck today.

“About your initial question in class?”

“What about it?” he replied, as we walk down the hallway.

Uh oh…I’m getting a bad feeling…

Should I bolt for it? If he’s caught off guard I should bolt…

He’ll probably interrogate me, wanting to know the details of that dream…

So if he smirks and give the ‘I knew it’ thing I don’t bolt, if he’s surprised then I’ll bolt…

 The exit was near and in sight.

“Well, you were right.” I said as calmly as I could.

“What?!” he said surprised.

SURPRISE!

HE’S SURPRISED!!

 RUN FOR IT!