Chapter 23

*****JAMES POV*****

I wake up to the sound of screaming. The clock beside my bed reads 1:34, so I roll over and go back to sleep. The screaming starts again and I rush into the hallway. The noise leads to Gray's room. I push the door open and see that she is screaming in her sleep.

"Gray. Gray wake up." I say and shake her. She sits up quickly and hugs her knees to her chest.

"It was just a dream Gray." I sooth. She is shaking and the moonlight from the window reflects off of the tears on her face.

"But it wasn't a dream. She's still dead." She whispers. I wrap my arms around her and lay down beside her on the bed. Her breathing soon returns to normal, but her words replay in my mind for what seems like hours....

She's still dead... She's still dead... She's still dead...

When I wake up again, Gray is sweaty and cold to the touch. She wakes up shortly after me and immediately scoots away.

"What're you doing." She asks, an accusing tone in her voice.

"You had a nightmare." I say

"Oh... yeah." She whispers and her eyes flash with emotion, pain or longing.

"I'll go." I say and get up. When I am in the hallway, she calls for me.

"James?" I turn around

"Yes Gray?" I hope that she'll ask me to stay.

"Thank you." She says and I smile softly at her.

"You're welcome." I say and go into my room and try and fall asleep until morning.

*****GRAYS POV*****

I'm standing on the sidewalk, watching the cars go by. I see Mom's car and wave at her. The light turns green and she drives forward. A car comes out of nowhere and smashes into her car. Her body crumples and the driver of the other car gets out. It's my dad. I call to him, and he runs away. I follow him for miles until he turns into an alley.

"Dad!" I call out. He disappeared.

A man jumps out from the shadows and tackles me. He forces himself onto me and takes off my pants. I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for what I know comes next.

Someone saves me though. I open my eyes and see Fallon standing over me. He reaches out his hand. I take it, but he pulls it away and I fall back down. When I look back up at him, I see that he is James, laughing at me.

"Gray! Gray!" He taunts, laughing and pointing. Everything goes black and I wake up.

I am sweating and shaking. I pull my knees up to my chest as someone tries to comfort me. They pull me to lay down and my eyes become heavy again, so I let go and let sleep take over me.

***

Morning light seeps through the curtains and wakes me from my fitful sleep. I take a shower then get dressed in a grey shirt, black skinny jeans, and a black jacket.

When I get downstairs, I see James, Andy, and Michael sitting at the table eating breakfast. They all look at me with wide eyes.