Chapter 3

I wake up in my bed to the sound of my alarm clock ringing. Using the crutches I got last night, I walk into the bathroom. The doctor said I can't get the cats wet so I start to run a bath. Once it is full I get in, careful to keep my leg away from the water. After I wash I get out and get dressed in a white dress with a floral skirt. I crutch down the stairs and my mom looks at me sympathetically.

"Do you want to stay home until the bruises are gone?" I look at her confused and go to the hallway mirror. I have a black eye and there are multiple bruises on my jaw line. Tears start to form in my eyes. I nod my head yes and she comes over and gives me a hug.

"If you want to talk about it I'm here for you baby girl." She says soothingly. My stomach growls and she laughs. "Let's get you something to eat." She says and I use the crutches to go over to the bar and sit down. She puts a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of me and I dig in.

"This is really good." I say with a mouth full of food. She smiles at me.

"Thank you. While you're here, we need to talk about something." She says

"Okay, what is it?" I ask hesitantly.

"I got a call last night after you fell asleep."

"Okay..." I urge her to go on.

"Your grandma has been diagnosed with brain cancer. They've only given her two years to live so I am going to California to take care of her. I've arranged for you to live with Dani see you can finish out your junior and senior years here." She says.

"Mom..." I trail off, tears forming in my eyes.

"I'm so sorry baby. I wish this wasn't happening." She says sadly.

"But..." I start and she cuts me off.

"Once you finish your food you need to go upstairs and start packing. Your grandma gets out of the hospital in three days and I need to be up there when she is released. I have to start getting ready for work but I will help you pack when I get home. You will move in with Dani the day that I leave." She says and walks away before I can object.

Using the crutches I going to the garage and get boxes to pack with. Then I go upstairs to my room. I put everything from my dresser in my nightstand into the boxes and then I move to my bathroom. I get the stuff from there leaving only make up, toothbrush and toothpaste, and shower stuff. When everything is put in the boxes, I go into my room and pack some clothes into suitcase. Whatever doesn't fit in the suitcase I put into more boxes. I make sure to leave out clothes and pajamas for the next three days.

I flop down on my bed and take my laptop out of my backpack. James brought it by sometime last night. After searching for a while, I finally decide to watch the Hunger Games on Netflix. My mom comes into my room a couple minutes later.

"Bye honey." She says. I stare at her and don't say anything until she leaves. Then I continue watching my movie.

************************************

"Gray are you okay?" I hear Lexi from downstairs.

"I'm in my room!" I call to her. Sarah and Lexi walk into my room and lay down beside me.

"Gray what happened?" Sarah asks

"Matt stood me up so I started walking home. Some guy pulled me into an ally and... and he raped me." I said the last part softly.

"That asshole!" Lexi says.

"Gray..." Sarah says