Chapter 6

Michael^^^^

************
"This is the last box." Dani says. Michael, Andy, Lexi, Sarah, and James stayed the night at my house last night. James still hasn't talked to me since our make out session.

"I'm going to check that I have everything that I need." I say, walking back into my house. My room is empty, except for furniture. I notice James' shirt still folded on my bed where I left it. I pick it up and hug it to me. Maybe I was dumb to think that I had my best friend back. He's the biggest jerk in school, why would he change for me?

Putting the shirt back down, I walk back outside where Andy and Michael are talking to James. They all look at me at the same time, making me think that they're talking about me. They start walking over to me.

"So. Gray." Michael says. He's also on the football team.

"So. Michael." I say, mocking his tone.

"How are you supposed to cheer with a broken leg?" He asks

"I go back in two weeks to et he cast off." I say

"You better not let us down. We all know you're what holds the cheer team together. Don't let it fall apart." He says with a seriousness that surprises me. I nod my head slowly to show that I understand.

"Good." He says simply. I look at James and he doesn't meet my eyes. Dani walks over.

"Gray honey, your mom is about to leave and I'm going to drive her to the airport. Go say bye now." She says and I walk to my mom. We don't say anything, she just wraps me in a hug. I feel her shaking in my arms and I notice that I am crying too. She pulls away from me and puts her hands on my shoulders.

"We're going to be okay. Understand?" She says, trying to compose herself.

"Yes." I say quietly.

"I have to go now baby, I'll see you later." She says and walks to the car as if she was just headed to the mall.

I stand in place for a long time, looking at the place where the car was. It gets dark and the sky cracks, opening up and spilling rain all over me. My tears mix with the falling rain drops and my clothes become soaked. James and Andy come outside.

"For fucks sake Gray!" Andy yells at me and I snap my head towards him.

"You ruined your cast." James mutters. I look down at the now soaking wet cast. "Come on." He mumbles and picks me up. I wrap my arms around his neck and lay my head on his shoulder, falling asleep almost instantly.

********************

I open my eyes and sit up right immediately. This isn't my room. When I stand up a soft material brushes against my upper thighs and I notice that I am wearing a shirt that is way to big for me. I walk out of the room and down the hall, realizing as I walk that I'm in James' house. In the kitchen, James and Andy are sitting at the bar eating chips.

"You aren't supposed to be walking on you leg." James says and I look down, for the first time noticing that I'm not using crutches.

"Come sit down." Andy says as he pulls out a still for me.

"Put your leg on the counter." James orders and I do. The cast is still soaking wet and I cringe. James takes a box cutter and sliced open the cast. He peels it off and puts it on the ground then examines my leg. It is still purple and bruised where the man stomped on me.

Andy gets a bag of frozen peas from the freezer and puts it on the center of the bruise. I suck in a sharp breath of air through gritted teeth.

"We have to go to the hospital." James all but growls at us. He snatches his keys from the counter and walks out of the front door, slamming it behind himself. I look at Andy questioningly. He opens his mouth like he is going to say something, then shakes his head no and closes his mouth.

"What?" I ask

"Nothing." He says and picks me up, ending the conversation. He carries me to the car and puts me in the back seat.

The ride there is silent, and once we get to the hospital Andy carries me again. We go to the front desk and sign in. Andy brings me over to the chairs and sits down, leaving me sitting in is lap. I look at him and he lightly pushes my head to rest on his shoulder. He puts his head on top of mine and I feel my eyes get heavy.

**********
(JAMES POV)

"What's your problem?" Andy says angrily, breaking the silence that had filled the space between us.

"Nothing" I say

"I just don't understand why you're doing this to her." He whispers angrily

"I can't lose her again." I mumble

"So you're just going to be an ass to her for the next two years?" He says

"She's so beautiful. If I get close I won't be able to control myself. I almost couldn't stop myself yesterday and I can't risk her finding out how I feel. She knows I don't stay with one girl, she probably thought we were just having fun yesterday. What if I'm not good enough for her?" I say quickly, more to myself than Andy.

"I don't know what you should do, but one things for sure. If you want her to hate you, then keep doing exactly what you're doing." He says standing up. "I have to take a piss. Take her." He says and hands Gray to me. I push a stray strand of hair out of her eyes and her eyes flutter open. She looks shocked.

"What's wrong?" I ask

"I thought you hated me." She says quietly

"I-I" And for the first time in my life I'm at a loss for words.

**************
Comment at least once per chapter to tell me how I'm doing so far... It would mean so much to me if you would. Thank you so much for sticking with me.