Chapter 2

I put one my practice clothes, a Nike sports bra and matching pants and shoes.

"Are you slow pokes almost done?" I ask the rest of the cheer team as they slowly get ready in the locker room. Some groan and some laugh. They finally get ready and follow me out into the field where the football team has already started their practice.

"Okay girls, we're going to run 5 laps then come back here for a water break. Go!" I say and they all start running around the football field. I run with Lexi and Sarah.

"How are you holding up Gray?" Lexi asks, referring to Matt.

"I just want this night to be over with. I'm going to get it over with and be done." I say, trying to be strong.

"We're here for you Gray." Sarah says. We continue the rest of our run in silence.

"Finish your break then we're going to start conditioning." I say. The last girl finishes her water and I start practice. "We're going to start with 20 burpies. But I want you do do a burpie into a back handspring." A few of them groan and I see the football coach looking at me in approval. We don't have a cheer coach so he just guides me and I coach the team. I start doing the burpies.

"Now we're going to do 100 crunches." I say when everyone has finished. Some of the freshmen groan and I begin doing crunches.

"Maybe you haven't realized it, but every time you groan and complain she makes our conditioning worse." Hannah, one of the sophomores says.

"When your finished with your crunches, quickly get water and get into your stunt groups." I say and they all cheer. Stunt groups are everyone's favorites. I get water and wait for Lexi, Sarah, and Hannah because they are my stunt group. I may be one of the oldest girls on the team but I'm also 5'3 and 105lbs, making me one of the smallest on the team.

"Lift your fliers into extension. Fliers pull a scorpion on the second count 3, cradle on count 5, and cling on count 1." I say.

"5,6,7,8 clap 1, set 3, dip 5, up 7. Cling 1, scorpion 3, cradle 5, down 7, cling 1." I say as we do the motions.

"Now we're going to do a round off into the stunt then do that same thing. Does everyone understand?" They all nod their heads yes and I begin counting.

"5,6,7,8 clap 1, round off 3, dip 5, up 7. Cling 1, scorpion 3, cradle 5, down 7, cling 1." I say as we do the motions. "Did everyone do that?" I ask and two of the three stunt groups say no. "That's okay, but let's get it this time." I say

"5,6,7,8 clap 1, round off 3, dip 5, up 7. Cling 1, scorpion 3, cradle 5, down 7, cling 1. Did everyone get it that time?" I ask and they all say yes. "We're going to practice it 5 more times then we can get water." I say and we start practicing. After 15 minutes we are done.

"How do you guys feel about that? Confident or should we practice it more?" I ask

"I think my group needs to practice more." Melody says. I nod my head.

"What about you Gracie?" I ask the other flier

"I agree, we are a little bit shaky still." She says

"Okay get water then we'll do the stunts individually." Everyone gets water and then they come back to their groups.

"Let's see your group first, Melody." I say.