Chapter 15

A knock on the door tears us away from the movie.

"Go into my room Gray." Lexi whispers

"Why?" I whisper back

"Because he don't see you right away. Duh." She says and I scramble into her room before she can open the door.

"Gray!" She calls a few moments later. I straighten out my dress in the mirror and check my make up before walking into the front room. A smile grows on Fallon's face when he sees me.

"You look beautiful." He says and my face heats up.

"Thank you." I say

"Now listen here mister. You better have her home before midnight or you're in big trouble." Sarah says in a stern voice.

"Sir yes sir." He says and I laugh. "Ready?" He turns to me and I nod my head and follow him to his car. He opens the passenger side door for me and I get in.

"These are for you." He says and hands me a bouquet of half a dozen roses.

"These are beautiful." I say

"I think I was supposed to bring them with me to the door but I kind of forgot." He says, scratching the back of his neck.

"It's okay. They're still perfect." I say and he grins at me.

"You really do look beautiful." He says as he back the car out of the driveway.

"You already said that." I laugh and try not to blush.

"It's just that, I know you're beautiful, you should know that too." He says

"Well you look pretty handsome too." I say. He is wearing dark blue jeans and a grey long sleeve button up that fits him just right, not to tight, but tight enough to show off his muscles.

"Thank you." He says before taking a sharp turn onto a dirt road. I stare out into the sea of trees we are driving though. He parks the car and walks around to open my door then gets a picnic basket from the back seat. I take a blanket from him and follow him as he walks into the woods down a small dirt path. The path opens up into a small clearing that is blocked from view of the outside world by thick forest.

"Wow." I say, looking around, trying to take it all in. He takes the blanket from me and spreads it out in the middle of the clearing, which is the size of a two car garage.

"Sit." He says and sits down on the blanket. I sit beside him as he opens up the basket.

"So. In this basket I have sandwiches of all design." He starts and I laugh.

"All design?" I question

"Every flavor imaginable. What's your favorite type of sandwich?"

"Um... Probably peanut butter." I say

"Okay we have peanut butter with honey, with banana, with grape jelly, with strawberry jelly, with Nutella, marshmallow, and then just plain peanut butter." He says as he reads off a list.

"You have a list of sandwiches?" I ask

"Yes. It's a very helpful list." He defends and I can't help but laugh.

"I can't decide. They all sound good." I finally say

"Well then we'll have to try them all." He says and pull out a sandwich that's been cut into fourths and hands a piece to me then takes a piece for himself before setting the rest aside.

"Which one is this?" I ask

"This one is... Nutella." He says and we both take a bite.

"Mmmmm." I say. We do the same for every peanut butter sandwich until they're gone.

"How do you still have half a basket full of sandwiches?" I ask and we both laugh.

"I got my sister to help me make them. The rest aren't as interesting though." He says

"I'd still love to try them." I say. He put a lot of time into this.

"The next ones are turkey and various types of cheese, ham and various types of cheese, there's a BLT, meatball marina, chicken, bbq, and egg salad."

"Let's try them all." I say and we do the same thing we did for the other ones. We get half way through and I can't eat anymore.

"I didn't think we made that much." He laughs

"How long did that take you?" I ask

"About three hours." He says

"You didn't have to do all this for me." I say

"You're worth it." He lays down on his back and looks up at the sky. I do the same and he puts his arm around me and pulls me close. I put my head on his chest and am calmed by the slow rising and falling of his chest as he breaths in and out.

*******

"I had a great time." Is ya as we stand on the door step of James' house. It's almost midnight.

"I did too." He says

"Thank you so much for the flowers." I say

"Yeah." He says softly.

"What is it?" I ask, my voice level matching his.

"Your eyes are just... they're just so beautiful." He says. I look into his eyes and they flicker down to my lips. I can't help but look down at his full, soft lips. He leans towards me and our mouths meet in a long but simple kiss. It's light and romantic, but magical all at the same time, perfectly matching my evening with him.

"So does this mean there will be a second date?" He asks with a small smile on his face.

"I hope so." I say and I can't help but smile too.

"I have a question, and I know it might be soon, but I really like you Gray." He says

"Okay, what is it?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asks and my smile grows.

"Of course." I say quietly

"I'll text you, but I have to go." He says as he looks at a text on his phone. I give him a questioning look and he shows me a text from his dad telling him he's about to miss curfew.

"Okay." I say, sad that he has to go. He hugs me and walks back to his car.

I quietly open the door and see Dani and James waiting in the living room.

"Sorry I called you but you didn't answer I'm so sorry." I rush

"It's okay. Who was that?" Dani asks

"Fallon." I say simply

"Is he a friend?" She asks and my cheeks heat up. I stay quiet and she gets the hint.

"He's your boyfriend?" She asks and I nod

"You're dating him?" James spits

"Yes. Do you have a problem with that?" I say, straightening my shoulders so I seem taller.

"No, why would I care." He almost yells, but looks at the ground as he storms off.