Chapter 5

After James and Dani left yesterday I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. My James is back. My best friend. I crutch down the stairs and see my mom in the kitchen making lunch.

"Why are you so happy?" She asks with a smile of her own.

"Nothing." I say as she hands me a pb&j sandwich that I gladly accept.

"That's a whole lot of smiling for nothing." She says with a smirk.

"My best friend is back." I say and she smiles at me.

"Eat your sandwich then we have to finish packing." She says

"Okay." I say and take a sip of the milk she gave me. When I finish my sandwich I got up to her room to help her pack.

"Just put everything in a box I guess. Go into the bathroom and put that stuff in here." She says, handing me a box as she says that. I walk into the bathroom and clear it out. When I am done I walk out to see that her closet is empty and her dresser is completely cleared off.

"That was fast." I say

"Well I'm leaving tomorrow and I want to spend time with you today so I want to get this over with." She says and I use the crutches to walk over and give her a hug.

"Now that we're done packing, what're we going to do?" I ask

"I was thinking we could have a spa day." She says

"I'd love that." I say. Once or twice a month we go to the spa and get massages and face masks and manicures/pedicures.

"Okay let's go." She says, grabbing her purse and keys. I get my phone and follow her out to the car. When we get to the spa, we check in and they give us robes to change into, then they lead us to the massage room. We lay face down on the table and wait. Two women come in and start massaging us. After an hour, they lead us to another room to get face masks. Once they put it on us they set a timer and go away.

"James and Dani are coming to help you move you things tomorrow." She says after a while and I smile at the thought of James.

"What time are you leaving?" I ask

"10:00." She says

"In the morning?"

"Yes. I don't want to have to drive in the dark if I get lost in California." She says. We sit in silence the rest of our time there and then go home.

"Why don't you go check and see if everything is all packed." She says and I trudge up the stairs. I sit on my bed and check Instagram. I get a text in the group chat I have with Lexi and Sarah.

S- Hey
G- Hey Sare
L- Hey y'all
G- Wyd
S- Nothing
L- Same^ Wbu
G- Being bored
L- Can we come over Gray
S- Let me ask
G- Yeah we aren't doing anything
L- I'll be there in an hour wbu Sare
S- Yeah I can come... Will you get me on your way Lexi
L- Yeah gtg pack
S- Me too see you later fam

I laugh at Sarah's use of the word 'fam'.

"Mom Sarah and Lexi are coming over!" I call down the stairs

"Are you all packed?" She yells back

"Yeah" I lie. I still have to put my shoes somewhere. I sigh as I go over to my closet and get another box for my shoes. I end up needing four boxes, deciding to leave out my Roshes and white Converse. That takes only 30 minutes and I sigh again. My phone buzzes.

J (James)- Hey
G- Hey
J- Can I come over
G- Yeah
J- K I'll be there in 10

I rush to the bathroom and put on makeup, keeping it light with foundation, eye liner, and mascara. Looking down at my outfit, yoga pants and a camisole, I decide to change. I put on light skinny jeans and a maroon crop top with my white converse.