Chapter 4

I wake up comfortably on the couch. I yawn and snuggle back into the pillows.

"They're so cute together." I hear a voice say.

"We always said they would end up together!" Another voice squeals. My pillows move beneath me. I open my eyes and realize that my pillows are actually James. I am sitting in his lap with my arms wrapped around his torso. My head is on his chest and he has his arms around my stomach. He looks down at me and yawns. His eyes get wide and I'm sure mine do the same. I quickly jump off of him, but end up falling to the floor in the process. He jumps up from the couch and his cheeks turn red.

Using the couch for support, I get myself to a standing position. My mom, Dani, Lexi, and Sarah are staring at us.

"You woke them up." My mom lightly slaps Dani's arm.

"Not my fault. It was probably these two." Dani says, pointing at Lexi and Sarah.

"Hey!" They say in unison defensively.

"Why were you watching us and how did we even end up like that?" I ask

"We were watching you because you were adorable together." Dani says with a 'duh' look on her face. "As for how you ended up that way, ask James." She says and I turn to James expectantly. He scratches the back of his neck.

"Well when we got here, you were in the floor and I knew you were going to wake up with a stiff neck and be grumpy like you did when we were kids so I picked you up to put you on the couch and you wrapped your arms around me so I sat down and I guess I fell asleep." He says quickly.

"What do you mean 'when we were kids'?" Lexi asks

"Do you two have a history or something?" Sarah asks

"They used to be best friends up until middle school. Then they drifted apart for some reason." Dani says

"We always thought they would get married." My mom says bluntly and my cheeks heat up. I look at James and his checks are red too.

"Why didn't you tell us!" Lexi squeals

"Why does it matter? The past is the past." I snap and grab my crutches and walk out. I go up to my room and sit on my bed. Tears form in my eyes and fall down my face.

(FLASHBACK TO 8th GRADE)

"Hey Grayson." I hear a voice behind me.

"Hey Jameson." I say and turn around to see my best friend.

"I need to talk to you." He says hesitantly

"What is it?" I take his hand and lead him to the park bench at recess. He sits down and I put my feet in his lap while I eat my granola bar.

"I have something to confess." He says.

"What is it?" I ask anxiously

"I've had a crush on you since before 5th grade." He says quickly, his face heating up.

"I- I don't know what to say." I stutter. Of course I like him to, I have since 6th grade. But I don't want to risk ruining our friendship if things don't work out.

"I knew this would happen. I shouldn't have even said anything in the first place. I have to go." He says, standing up and throwing my feet off of his lap.

"James wait!" I call after him as he storms away. He ignores me.

The next day I decide to give it a chance. I do my hair nicely and wear a skirt. When I go over to him at lunch, I see him in our spot, kissing Alyssa Knight, the schools biggest slut. Tears form in my eyes and spill down my face. He sees me, pushes Alyssa away and runs over to me.

"Gray, I can explain." He says, wiping her lipstick off of his lips.

"Save it." I say and walk way.

*******************************

I hear footsteps in the hallway and I quickly wipe my tears as the person knocks on my door.

"Come in." I say, expecting Lexi or Sarah. Instead I see James. "What do you want." I snap.

"I'm sorry Gray." He says

"For what. You didn't do anything." I say

"Yes I did. I'm not just talking about today. I've been a jerk to you since 8th grade. What I did was wrong, it's just that, you kind of broke my heart. I loved you Gray." He says, walking over and sitting on my bed.

"I just didn't want to ruin what we had." I say softly and he pulls me onto his lap. I put my head on his chest and listen to his heart.

"Well I guess we got ruined anyway." He says with a morbid laugh that rumbles his chest.

"I guess so." I say

********************

So now you know what happened. Am I going to fast? Tell me what you think guys!!! How am I doing? Comment and vote!

PS: I know this was a short chapter but I haven't updated today and I'm literally struggling to keep my eyes open as I write this so goodnight my dudes.