Chapter 21

Okay I know the video doesn't really have that much to do with the story but I listened to it while writing some of this chapter so you all can listen to it too I guess.

*****************************

*****(FALLONS POV)*****

The next to periods go by with no word from anyone about Gray. When the finial bell rings I rush to her locker.

"Hey." I say softly. She looks up at me with a tear stained face. Her eyes are bloodshot and my chest tightens up again.

"Hey." Her voice cracks and tears fill her eyes again. I pull her against me and she sinks into my body. She starts shaking and I rub her back to try and soothe her. Her breathing soon slows back to normal and she pulls away.

"Do you want me to take you home?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"No.... No I have cheer today and you promised you wouldn't miss another practice for me." She says with a weak smile.

"Baby this is different. I'll do anything for you. Just tell me." I say and she shakes her head again.

"I have to get ready. Do you know where Lexi is?" She asks and her quiet voice makes her seem so small.

"She might already be in the gym. I'll walk with you to find her." I say and take her hand in mine.

When we get to the locker room, Lexi is already dressed. She takes Gray in her arms and holds her for a minute before leading her to get dressed. Gray gives me a weak smile and I leave to get changed for practice.

*****(JAMES POV)*****

"Okay. Bye." My voice is barely audible as I hang up the phone. I put my head in my hands and try to make sense of what I just heard.

Grays mom is dead. No more secret calls to her for advise that only me and her knew about. No more getting into trouble and her getting me out. She was like a second mom to me. Even when me and Gray stopped talking, she never failed to have my back.

"Summers! Get to the field!" Coach yells from behind me. I turn around and his face softens some. "What's the matter, son?" He asks and sits on the bench beside me.

"Someone I love very much just died." I say

"What do you need? Do you want to take the day off?" He asks, trying to comfort me, but his gruff voice doesn't really help.

"No. I'll be okay." I say quietly

"No you need to go. I understand what loss is. You need time." He says and lays my back before standing up.

"Thank you sir." I say and he nods at me. I get my bag and walk to my car.

When I get home, Mom is crying on the couch, talking on the phone with someone. She looks at me and I can't stop the tears that roll down my cheeks. She monitors for me to come to her and I rush over to the couch and she pulls me into her arms.

"I have to go, Mom. I'll talk to you later." she says into the phone and hangs up.

"How... How did she die?" I stammer

"She was hit head on by a car. The driver of the other car also died on impact." She chokes out.

"Was that other driver, you know, drunk?" I shutter at the thought of her life being taken by an alcoholic, when an alcoholic is who forced her to raise a child all on her own.

"No. There was a major malfunction with the car but they're investigating exactly what happened." She says quietly.

We spend the rest of the time in silence. Around 7, a car door slams and Gray walks in the house, her eyes bloodshot and her hair a mess, and walks up to her room without saying a word.