16. Jordan & Abby

Start from the beginning

"You and Jordan are the ones that decided not to keep in touch with Daniel and me." Troy says, and I can tell that he feels some type of way about that.

"If we're being honest, I wasn't talking to you because of the whole bet and that night at the party. Daniel was pissed at me because I basically ended his relationship with Alyssa. Keeping in touch for the first few years was hard and then we made up, but lost touch again."

"We were supposed to spend our first few years out of high school together. We really dropped the ball on that." Troy looks off into the distance, most likely thinking about where things went wrong.

"I should have never let you make that stupid bet. Everything always comes back to that stupid bet." Ryan lets out a frustrated sigh and I almost agree with him. If it weren't for that bet, I wouldn't have Abby, but I definitely wouldn't be going through the shit I'm going through now.

"You can't stop fate, Ryan. We'd still be here somehow. Jordan would have met Abby somehow and still messed up things with her. We still would have went separate ways because that's just life." Troy's still staring off into the distance, his eyes squinted because of the sun.

"Maybe you're right." I grab a lemon pepper off my sandwich before popping it into my mouth.

~~~~

"Dylan, I talked to your lawyer yesterday and you have a trial set for next week. Jordan won't be there, but you'll have us there." My mom says, giving Dylan a motherly smile. He smiles back and I can tell that he really appreciates us.

"I really want t-to thank you all. I know dealing with a drug addict isn't easy, b-but you all have b-been very nice and kind. You've given me a place to stay, food, and clothing. Plus, you've had to d-deal with me detoxing all over t-the place, so thank you." I place a hand on his shoulder, giving him an appreciative smile.

We're all sitting around at dinner, eating steaks. Dylan really wants to change his life around and his determination is why he's going to be able to become clean again. Lydia really likes him and is always talking his head off. Mom sees him as a second son already and so does dad.

"We want you to know that you always have us, Dylan. We know you'll do well in rehab." Dad says.

"I won't let you down, sir." Dylan smiles a grateful smile to all of us and I actually feel good about something that I've done.

After eating dinner, I decide to turn in early. We're leaving pretty early tomorrow for the trip and I've been designated to drive. I go upstairs to my room and begin to pack all of the things that I will need tomorrow. There's a knock at my door and I turn around to see Lydia coming in with her favorite stuffed animal.

"What's up?" I ask, sitting down on the bed. She comes over to me and I pull her onto my lap.

"Mommy said you're leaving again." She looks down, clearly sad about me leaving.

"Just for a week. I'm coming back." I tell her.

"You're always leaving me. You don't ever want to hang out with me anymore." She doesn't look at me and I start to feel bad because she's right. Since I've been here I haven't really hung out with her.

"Hey, look at me." She slowly looks up at me with her adorable brown eyes.

"When I get back I'm all yours. I'll take you out for ice cream. We can go shopping for new toys and whatever else you want." I start to tickle her and she begins to laugh, a smile finally coming back to her face.

"I love you, Jordan." She wraps her small arms around me and I find myself smiling.

"I love you, too." I hug her tight before picking her up and taking her to her room. She changes into her pajamas before I tuck her into her bed.