Try Again

"I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR DAMN COOKIES!"
"I'm sorry?"
_________________________

Maya likes it quiet, so when she gets disturbed multiple times in the space of three hours- she's pretty much had it. Which is how she ended up in this situation.
See, the local girl scout troop just got their order forms, and already seven of the girls in Maya's building had come knocking. Suffice to say, she was a little peeved. All she had to do on her day off was get the mail, so she was using the day to paint, except for the time she spent answering the door only to have it be another sticky-fingered girl shoving an order form in her face.
She had just began preparations for dinner when, for the eighth time that day, there was a knock on the door.
"Oh for love of-" Maya closes the cupboard she had just opened and begrudgingly moves to the door, getting angrier with each step. She yanks open the door, "I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR DAMN COOKIES!"
__________________________
I'm sure you remember this part of the story, and I'm sure it's much less appalling now that you've been given some insight on Maya's reasoning for her outburst.
Unfortunately, the woman who is responsible for the knock does not have the gift of this insight, so when the door opens to reveal a pretty blonde screaming about not wanting cookies, you can forgive her for being a little taken aback.
Admittedly, it's not the best first impression for either of them.
_________________________
Now, to say they were both shocked would be an understatement, but it's the receiver of those pointed words who speaks first, "I'm sorry?"
She says it with a look that evokes pity, she reminds Maya of a kicked puppy. Maya feels every ounce of her anger melting away from her as she takes in the brightly dressed woman before her, and she cannot help the way her heart aches when she notices the little tub of cookies clutched in the gorgeous woman's hands.
"I... am so sorry. I thought that you were-- It's just that I've had a really long day and--" For both their sakes, she decides on: "Can we just try again? Would you like to come in?"
The brunette's demeanor switches quite rapidly into something that suits her bright outfit a bit better, "That would be lovely, please." Once inside the humble artist's apartment, she adds, "I'm Riley, your new neighbor."
"And I'm Maya, aspiring artist, helpless homosexual, and compulsive overreacter."
"Oh is that what you are?" She starts with a smile, "So where does the part about hating my cookies come in?" She places her little Tupperware onto the island and lifts her eyebrow
"The girl scouts will be the death of me, and my painting career."
"Oh!" Riley begins to giggle, "They're going to be the death of my wallet, too! I've ordered at least one box from every one of them, I couldn't help it. That's why I'm here actually, to offer you all the leftovers from last years troops." She lifts the lid off of the container and inside are multiple kinds of cookie, all crammed together, "I didn't finish them in time."
"Oh my gosh, you have a problem with cookies. But I suppose I'll take those off your han-" Maya reaches for a cookie, but like lighting Riley snaps the lid back on and pulls the container out of reach "- HEY!"
"You didn't want any girl scout cookies before, why do you want them now?" She says insinuating a playful challenge.
"Maybe because they're cheaper to take from pretty neighbors!" Maya shouts, lunging for the girl. Riley leaps out of the way and the chase is on.
Laughing as they dodge and weave, Riley calls out "Perhaps it's cheaper, but is it really easier?"
"Apparently not!" Maya lunges over the couch managing to catch Riley's waist. They both topple to the ground and wrestle a little before Riley takes the upper hand and pins Maya down by straddling her and holding her wrists.
Riley smiles down at her, "So what does the 'pretty neighbor' get in return for the cookies?"
Maya blushes a little cause she hadn't realized she said that, "Whatever you want, I guess. I could take you out for dinner?"
"I was thinking something cheaper, as that seems to be more your speed. How was it you described yourself? A 'helpless homosexual'?" She winks
Maya furrows her brow, "Yeah... but what-?" She doesn't really know what question she's trying to ask
Riley leans down and gently kisses her. It's the kind of kiss twelve year olds would brag about and sixteen year olds would be embarrassed of, it was soft and quick, and perfect. They smile at each other and Riley releases Maya by rolling off of her. Maya immediately retaliates by pinning Riley down.
"Ok well I'm definitely buying you dinner now, but you cannot possibly think that that little kiss is enough payment for all of those cookies." Maya kisses her then, and they both lose themselves in the moment.