Art Of Conversation

Maya is good at art. Maya has always been good at art. She has mastered all arts life has thrown at her, except for one... The Art of Conversation has always eluded her, especially when it comes to conversing with pretty girls.
This exception proves difficult when her favorite coffee shop hires a pretty brunette waitress.
It was an average day for the aspiring artist, she sketched a picnicking family in the park, gave Henry the bum her pocket change, checked to see if any of her art sold over at the consignment store, and moseyed her way to Topanga's for her usual.
When she entered she sat at her table and pulled out her sketch book and started to doodle. She was quickly interrupted, however, by a cheerful voice
"Hi! I'm Riley, and I'll be your server for today. Can I get you something to drink?" The waitress was beautiful, and clearly new, since she didn't recognize Maya as a regular.
"Oh, ummmm... Can you just tell Katy that Maya is here? She'll handle me."
Riley seemed almost hurt by the request, but she put her notepad back in her apron and headed back to find Katy. "Ms Katy? A Maya is here? She said you would handle her"
Katy smiled at Riley, "Maya is a regular here, she has never once changed her order, so you just tell me when she's here. There's no reason to bother her, she just sits at that table sketching, and she leaves when her drink is empty."
Riley is surprised, "So I don't have to serve her? Just give her her order?"
"That's all you have to do. Oh, and don't chase her about the check either, she's covered." Katy goes to take the order of a man who just walked in. Riley is baffled by what she's been told. How could anyone be content to just sit alone? She promises herself that she will speak to the girl... but after she's done working of course.
It takes about an hour or so for Maya to finish the sketch she was drawing, it's just an impulse sketch of the basic ingredients that go into making baked goods. She thinks that perhaps she'll make a painted version on canvas and sell it. She takes a sip from her cooled coffee and decides that there's enough left in the cup for her to sketch something else. She's looking out the window for inspiration when Riley plops into the seat across from her "Katy told me all you do is sit here, alone, and sketch until your drink is empty. She also said not to bother talking to you, not even for the check. So I want to know why?"
Maya is unsure of how to handle this intrusion by the pretty waitress, so she just stutters a "What?"
Riley can see she's caught the beautiful blonde off guard, "Why do you sit here alone until your drink is empty? Don't you get lonely? Don't you have friends?"
"I don't like being interrupted when I'm drawing and I don't like bothering anyone for refills, so I leave when my coffee is gone." Maya is flustered, she doesn't know why she's humoring the waitress, but it could be because she thinks that the brunette is cute.
Riley, meanwhile, makes a mental note to refill Mayas coffee whenever she can, maybe to prolong the stunning girl's stay, maybe just to warm the existing cup "Don't you get lonely? Without even a measly ol waitress to talk to? Where're your friends, or your boyfriend?" Riley can't really stop herself from saying the last one
Maya never really thought about these things, so her answer is uncertain, "I... I never really noticed it? I guess I'm just used to being alone. I don't really have anyone I really consider a friend, maybe a close acquaintance, sure, but not friend. And I don't have a girlfriend, I'm single, not necessarily because I want to be, but here I am" Maya is mentally face palming herself, sooo subtle. Riley is mentally cheering, she caught the use of 'girl' instead of 'boy'
"So then why don't you have to pay?" Riley is determined to get to know this girl now. She is cute and single and artistic, perfect.
"Oh, Topanga bought some of my work and instead of paying me I asked for free food. Plus, Katy is my mom, so if my tab ever runs out she can pick it up."
Riley is surprised, she knew her mom bought the art from someone local, but she didn't know that someone was a beautiful girl her age! And that she's Katy's daughter too! Why did Katy and her mom never once mention her?! Riley notices that Maya's cup is running on empty, and that her break is almost over(though Katy doesn't mind), she realizes she'd better wrap this up "This is all your art?" Maya nods "Then I'd love to see more, too bad my break ends soon... Here! I'll give you my number so I can see your other art!" Riley pulls out a pen and her order book to jot down her number. She hands it to Maya with a wink "Call me, we can get dinner or something"
Maya barely stammers an "Ok sure" before Riley walks back behind the counter. Maya isn't really sure what just happened, but she's pretty sure she just got asked on a date by the pretty waitress, and that's fine by her. She finishes her coffee and picks up her sketch book, she knows it'll be full of pictures of Riley, that girl is art