Blazing

The fire blazes under their stares. After Riley left with Farkle, Lucas and Maya just sat, watching the fire consume twigs and spit them out as ash. The silence between them was only broken by the popping of the fire, it was deafening. Occasionally, their gazes would find each other, but that only led to looking away. There were many words unspoken between the two, but neither desired to break the silence. Then, Good Guy Lucas decides to try to break the ice with his charm,
"Did you know that there are 88 constellations?"
"I don't like you, Lucas."
And then there's silence once more, 15 heartbeats of it.
"Then who do you like, Maya?"
"Lucas, stop. Let's just look at this fire until they get back."
"Maya, why are you keeping secrets from us, from Riley?"
Maya only stares
"What secret is so confidential that you can't even tell your best friend?"
"Lucas, please stop." She forces herself to meet his gaze, her eyes are pleading with hurt and guilt. Lucas almost decides that hurting her isn't worth it, but then he remembers that Maya doesn't handle things alone very well. "Stop what, Maya? What am I doing?"
Maya stands in fury, "You know what you're doing! Why can't you let me keep this one secret? It's bad enough that I can't tell her." She sits back down with a sigh.
"Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, maybe I do. Maybe I'm trying to make you see that whatever it is, you can tell us and we won't judge you."
"Lucas, you have no idea what you're asking me to do, what you're asking me to tell you. I can't."
"If you tell me then I'll know!"
"You're asking me to come out! Ok!? There! Now you know! Shit..."
There's another five heartbeats before, "Maya if that's all it is, that's not bad. You're still you. There's nothing wrong with you."
"I know there's nothing wrong about liking girls, it's the girl I like that's the problem."
"Riley."
"Yeah, ok? I like Riley. I have since we were seven."
"No Maya, I mean-"
"Peaches? You like me?" Riley and Farkle had decided that the two had more than enough time to figure out their feelings, they decided they'd listen through the trees to determine whether or not to join them, they just happened to stumble in on the yelling
"Riley! I was- I just- I don't- I-" Maya tried to stammer out anything that might save her while her brain continued to pulse warning symbols and alarm bells, then suddenly, they all stopped. Maya's brain went silent as it tried to register the new sensation. As her brain caught up with her body, she found that she was being kissed, by Riley, and it was the most incredible thing she had ever experienced. This was what love feels like.