It's not your fault

Hours passed. Stiles sat on the couch with his elbows pressed into his knees, staring at the wall, the wall that was as blank as his expression; the backs of his knuckles were placed under his chin as if they were supporting the weight of his head. Thomas lay on the living room floor beside Newt, both boys looking up to the ceiling like it was full of stars they couldn't reach. Scott was sitting on the opposite end of the couch his best friend was on, glancing from his phone and back to Stiles, worried and heartbroken.

The living room had been filled with silence for hours besides the odd soft whimper here and there. The silence was brutal, uncomfortable and haunting: especially to Thomas. The horrified boy couldn't stand the silence much longer, it ripped him apart and dug deeper and deeper into his pain, into his losses, into the horrid images of Lydia's lifeless corpse and chuck's last breaths and even Teresa's. The dreaded sense of the soundless room nearly drove Thomas to insanity; his guilt was too much, he had to say something:

"I'm sorry..", the crushed boy whimpered, "I-if I had just showed up a little sooner..", he was cut off.

"It's not your fault". Those were the first Stiles had spoken in hours, the first ones he dared to speak. The boy was heart broken, it was like you could hear it in his voice, see it in his eyes and feel it within his innocence.

"This wasn't anyone's fault..", Stiles lip quivered as his choppy voice spat out the words, "no ones fault but my own".

Thomas, Newt and Scott looked confused, "how is Lydia's death your fault?", Newt asked immediately regretting doing so as soon as noticed the waterfall of tears pouring silently and painfully out of Stiles's eyes and down his face.

"I'm sorry Stiles.. I-I shouldn't have said anything, I-", the blonde boy was cut off.

"No.. It's fine.. Sh-she came looking for Scott and I at the vet clinic.. I-I told her to wait for us there till we got back.. I..", the boy could barely talk or process what happened to the love of his life through the sorrow he felt and the tears he cried, "I k-knew I-it could have been dangerous.. I told her she didn't have to stay, that she could come, but sh-she insisted, sh-she said she felt something bad was going to happen, b-but I let her stay... I-I should have told her to leave.. To go.. To not wait..".

The 3 boys listening to Stiles could barely understand what he was saying through his suffering sobs, but the broken boy continued anyways, "I did this to her as much as that asshole who physically did this to her.. She's gone because of me...".

"Stiles..", Thomas said in a smooth, calming voice as he knelt down to his brothers level, "this is not your fault.. Okay? There is no way in the world this is your fault.. You didn't kill her.."

"I might as well have", Stiles cried.

"No!", Thomas shouted startling Stiles and the others, "Don't think like that alright? Look, I know you are hurting right now and you are looking for every possible way to blame yourself, but if Lydia was still here, she wouldn't want you to wallow in self-pity, to blame yourself for what happened, she would want you to pick yourself up and avenge her.. To make sure that her death wasn't for nothing.. To fix this situation and bring down the person who did this.. So that's what I'm going to do. What Newt and Scott are going to do.. Now, are you in? Or are you not?", Thomas finished strong with a tiny grin upon his finely structured face.

Stiles took a deep breath in and a shaky breath out. He looked to Scott who gave him a nod of approval and a slight shrug. He then looked over to Newt who walked over to him and put his hand upon his shoulder.

"We all have lost people we love, but it's better to pick our asses up and do something about it then to sit there and think of what we lost.. Please Stiles, we have to do this for her.. Please..", Newt pleaded nicely, showing sympathy towards the boy who lost his girlfriend.

Stiles stood up, straightened his posture and wiped his broken tears.

"Okay", Stiles stated, "let's find the thing that did this and let's bring it down..".

"Stiles.. Are you sure about this? Just think about it for a second..", Scott questioned hesitantly.

"I don't need a second.. Whatever or whoever did this to Lydia, is going to pay.. They are going to rot in hell for what they did.. They are not going to get away with this..", Stiles savagely retorted.

"We won't let them", Thomas stood up, "now let's go get them.. Whoever they are".

"Shouldn't we come up with a plan?", Scott asked.

"Out in the Scorch, we didn't have time to plan", Newt said while he grabbed Thomas's hand, "we just did what we had to in the moment", he smiled towards his boyfriend.

"Okay, then what are we waiting for", Scott lightly grinned, "let's go get some clues".

"I'll drive", Stiles added.

"No", Scott denied his best friends request, "you are in no emotional state to drive, I'll drive, but we have to pick up Malia on the way and fill her in".

"Sh-she's going to be heart broken", Thomas said as he imagined Malia receiving the news of her recently fallen friends death.

"I know.. But she has to know.. As much as it will hurt her and as much as it hurts me..", Scott stopped, choking back tears, trying not to show vulnerability, "let's just go okay?", he shot back changing the subject as he grabbed the jeep keys and walked out the door.

"You heard him", Newt said, trying to take back his rightful position as leader, "Let's go".

A/N: Sorry it took so long since I last updated, but the next chapter will reveal more! Stay tuned and thanks so much for 1K reads like holy that's insane!!! I love you allllll!