Chapter 32: Lost

Luke's Point of View:

We were all in the waiting room, huddled together with are headphones in. Staring at the gray walls. Praying for Alexia.

As I stared into the bleakness, it all flooded back to me.

Wondering why Alexia wasn't at the arena yet. Calling her. Leaving a voicemail. Leaving five more voicemails. Beginning to panic. Getting a call from the emergency room that she was in critical condition. Being told that if we wanted to see her, we needed to come immediately. Just in case she.... died. Punching the wall over and over and over again until my knuckles were numb and blood was dripping onto the floor. Crying because I had tons of blood and was hurting myself intentionally while Alexia had lost too much. Calum shaking me and telling me that I needed to be strong. Getting in the car. Waiting anxiously in the waiting room all night. Rescheduling the concert.

And now I was here.

We all looked up as a doctor approached us. We tried to assess the expression on his face. Was it grave? Or hopeful?

I pulled out my headphones. "Is she okay?" My voice was hoarse.

"Please tell me she's okay." Michael croaked.

The doctor gave us a small smile. "She will be okay... mostly. Are her parents here? She is wondering."

"No, they wouldn't come. Management got in contact with them." Ashton explained. "Can we see her?"

"Not yet, I'm sorry. Right now only family is allowed."

"We're all that she has." I pleaded, wiping away tears. "We're all the she has." I repeated. Because it was true.

"Fine. Follow me." We got up silently and followed her down the long hallways filled with the sounds of monitors beeping and patients moaning. I felt sick inside.

Finally we saw her. She was pale and sweaty, and tangled hair was sticking to her face. Dried blood was crusted around her nose, and she had cuts all over her cheek and forehead. Her face was splotchy, and it looked like she had been crying.

But it was Lexi, and she was okay.

She groaned as she turned over. Her eyes lit up as she saw us. "Luke! Mikey! Cal! Ash!" She smiled, but it look pained. "So glad you're here." She said.

We all went to sit on the edge of her bed. "I look fucked up, don't I?" She chuckled weakly.

"You look like you always do. Beautiful." My voice was a whisper. She rolled her eyes and gave me light smack.

"I love you guys. You shouldn't have cancelled the show though."

Michael scoffed. "Are you kidding me? Of course we had to! The fans weren't that mad, most of them just want you to be okay. How are you feeling, Lex?"

She bit her lip before answering, hesitating. "I'm fine.... at least, I will be. I have to stay here a little longer, though."

"What do you mean, 'I'm fine'?" Ashton asked.

Her lower lip trembled. "What I mean is that I'm fine... but the baby is not."

Oh no. That sunk in, and suddenly we were all hugging her as she sobbed. "I lost the baby. Because I was being a stupid driver, someone died. This baby could have been a future world peace leader, heck, but no one will ever know." Her face contorted and she gasped for breath as tears streamed down her face. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm a mess."

"No Lexi! We love you. It's going to be okay. I promise." Michael said, rubbing her back. She cried into his shoulder.

"I killed the baby. I lost my baby..." She repeated over and over until she passed out from tiredness and hysteria.

We exchanged worried glances. Would she ever be the same again?

-------

(real life friends: SORRY AGAIN CHOOSE IS GONNA BE CHAPTER 33 I PROMISE!!!!)