Married

Ash called us about a week later and said most of the press had stopped hounding them and the police was looking for us.  They had us listed as hideaways or something like that.  I told him to tell them where I was and give them my cell number. 

            The next day, a couple of police officers stopped by.  They said they had to take us in for questioning.  We went with them willingly because we knew we were innocent.

            I was sitting in an interrogation room.  The agent was the twin sister of the cop at Maggie’s house.  She asked, “Did you know Jack Harmann?”

            “Yes.”

            “Did you ever attack Mr. Harmann?”

            “No.  I teased him.  It always made his heart speed up.  It’s the most wonderful sound on Earth a human can make.”

            She looked at me funny and then continued.  “Did you ever harm him in any way?”

            “No.”

            “Did you have any negative feelings toward the deceased?”

            “No.  He was nice.  He just didn’t have a good taste in women.”

            “In other words, your mother?”

            “Yes.”

            “What did she do to you to have these feelings?”

            “I found out she didn’t love me for me.  She wanted me to be a perfect, normal, human daughter.”

            “Would you try to get revenge?”

            “I already have.”

            “How?”

            “I moved out, I’m going to marry the son of the person who killed my dad, and I embraced my vampire heritage.  The last two are a couple of her worst nightmares.”

            “So you won’t inflict physical pain?”

            “No, I’m just going against her wishes and following my heart.”

            “You do know moving out is not highly encouraged for a minor?”

            “I’m a vampire.  I know how to take care of myself.  It’s not that hard to find at least one animal a day, nobody can hurt me, and I know people I can stay with.  That’s all I need, besides Mike.  I couldn’t live without him.  I’d stab myself with a stake first.”

            “Stakes work?”

            “Yeah, but a human has to be trained or extremely lucky to get a stake deep enough to kill.”

            “Do you know anyone who would want to harm Mr. Harmann?”

            “No.  If I did, I would tell you.  I’m a predator, not a murderer.  I don’t kill.  I don’t know anything.  If you want to find Jack’s murderer start looking because we are innocent.”

            “Why were you at the house he was killed in?”

            “We smelled the blood and basic instinct took over.  We followed the trail to the house, but none of us got a chance to go inside.”