Chapter 12: Pain

Laylah's pov-

We’ve been here for about a week.  She doesn’t know our secret, yet, but she knows mine.  It’s all that witch’s fault.  Why did I even touch her?  The witch had a few nightmares afterwards.  I got back at her for it.  It was one of the worst things that witches loathe.  The only thing worse is being stripped of their powers.  I don’t know why they think it’s so bad.  Maybe they don’t like being subjected to another power or something like that.

            It was the first time I’ve drunk a witch’s blood.  It had a sparkling taste sort of like fizzy water only it tasted much, much better than any kind of fancy water.  I’ve wanted more ever since.  It was strange but delicious, almost addicting.

            I wonder what all is in this place.  It is huge!  I found Claire and asked, “Do you mind if I look around?  I’ve never seen a house this big before.”

            “Go ahead; nothing is breakable with witches around.”

            I went from room to room and found out where who slept where.  I had my floor memorized already. 

            There was Mike’s room on one side and mine, too.  Jade’s room is in between Winny’s room and Wyllow’s room.  The other rooms are empty.  My wall is thin so I can hear whatever Mike does, which is usually snoring.  It gets really annoying.

            I asked, Claire, why is my wall so thin?

            I was housing young witches that were just learning to do magic through walls.

            I knew this floor which meant four more.  The two below my floor, which is the top floor, were bedrooms and storage rooms.  The floor below those two was the main floor.  It’s where lessons take place, meetings, where we socialize (not really me), and pretty much everything else.  Claire’s room is on this floor, too along with a kitchen and other rooms used for different things.

            The basement held Wyllow’s special room and had plenty of space in case of an emergency, which according to Claire, had never been used for emergencies.  I had the mansion memorized.

            I heard the roar of air planes flying low.  Everybody came running to the main floor.  A wolf asked, “What’s going on?”

            I felt sorry for Claire sometimes because most of the people housed here are teenagers.

            Claire said, “I don’t know!  Everybody, into the basement.  I’m going to go see what it is.”

            Jade said, “I’m coming too.”

            Mike said, “No, you might get hurt.”

            I said, “I’ll go if it breaks up this love fest.”

            Claire and I stepped out onto the wrap around porch.  There were eight planes flying low.  Humans were shooting stakes.  Every Slayer in America had come prepared to kill.

            Claire dodged a stake.  I wasn’t as lucky.  I was hit in the same shoulder as before only this time, it hit a lung, too.  The pain was awful.  I fell to the floor in pain.  I couldn’t stand back up and just as I thought it couldn’t get any more unbearable, another stake flew at me and hit me in the leg.

            Claire carried me back inside and down to the basement.

            Jade asked, “What happened?  Is she okay?”