ᴏ ɴ ᴇ [s𝟷]

ADALINE'S POV

[ I EDIT MY CHAPTERS REGULARLY]

BOOK 1
{ SEASON 1}
& sᴇᴀsᴏɴ 𝟸

THEME SONG - Again by Noah Cyrus

      ✱   ☆

Eleven o'clock morphs into twelve and then one. The time trickles by, marked only by those changing glowing numerals. My mind is blank; where there should be dreams is a heavy blackness. My eyes are as stationary as the silhouette of my bedside lamp, which is where they rest. My mind flickers to the cupboard and the sleeping pills the doctor prescribed. I don't want them, I don't want chemicals. I close my eyes and they almost sting, open too long I guess. I groaned loudly into my pillow and then threw it across my bedroom, accidentally knocking my hairbrush over. I was frustrated.

I smacked my lips in the need of water.

I rubbed my eyes furiously, stretched my sore limbs, and let out a groan of all sorts from the rewarding popping of my muscles. My legs swung over the side of my bed and I stood up with another deep yawn that sounds more like a menstruating walrus. I wrapped my large blanket over my body and quickly but carefully walk through the darkness of my room. I twisted the door knob to only get startled by an appearance.

Scott, my younger brother, clutching mom's large bat against his bare chest. His brown hair was tousled, fairly tossed backward and uneven strands sticking against his sweaty forehead.

I lazily rubbed my stinging eyes. "What the–what the hell are you doing at this time...?"

"Be quiet, okay. Im going to check it out just stay in your room." He whispered.

"Check what ou-"

"The creaking. You didn't hear that?" He interrupted.

My eyes squinted in curiosity and I wrapped my warm blanket tighter around my body. "Um...no? I was awake for hours and I didn't hear a thing."

"Well, I heard it. It's coming from the porch outside. I'm going to check it out." He nodded, tightening his grip around the bat, causing his knuckles to become white.

"Okay...just pull on a jacket before going out. I don't want you to get cold."

He sighed and handed me the bat before running off to his room. We didn't have to worry about being quiet since my mom was still at work at the hospital. Scott soon came back with a red hoodie and grabbed the bat from my hands.

"It could be a tree? An animal?" I tried.

"It could be...a person. You never know."

I sighed and nodded my head for him to continue down the stairs. I watched Scott step outside and then close the door. After a few moments, I just stood there. Waiting for something to occur. The only sound I heard was the grandfather clock tick continuously.

That was when I suddenly heard screaming from outside. My eyes widened whilst my heart began to beat erratically. The adrenalin flew over my veins like a carp through the river, but I couldn't move a single muscle. That's when I heard it again and it caused me to snap back to reality.

I lifted the blanket off my body and bolted down the wooden stairs, tripping over some large shoes placed on one of the steps. I swung the front door open to see a skinny teenage boy dangling from the roof of the house and Scott about to knock the shit outta him with the bat.