εικοστή τρίτη

{Present Day}

                                                               Point of View:

                                       {{Dani (The normal human freckled teenage girl)}}

############################################################################################################################################## 

There's this thing called microsleep. It typically happens when you're very exhausted, but you can't go to sleep. Like when you're driving a car for instance. You know that you shouldn't fall asleep, and that if you fall asleep very bad things will happen. But you can get to a point where you are so incredibly exhausted that your body will do this thing called microsleeping, and take over for you.

Microsleep is just what it sounds like. Some people don't even know they're doing it because it's so fast. But what happens is you blink, and in that blink, you fall asleep. You wake back up two to three seconds later, normally with a jerk.

It's happened to me in class several times. I'll just be sitting there, doodling in my notebook, and the next thing I know, my head is jerking up and I'm sure I've dislocated my neck (which, actually would just be considered breaking it. But anyway.)

So, your body takes over for you, and you can be "asleep" for like two seconds up to twenty before it remembers you weren't supposed to be asleep at all and it wakes you back up.

That's what this felt like.

When I was in the water, and Aaron swam over to me. He grabbed my hand, and I could see the terror on his face.

Not for him-he's immortal after all-but for me.

It felt like microsleep, as my blinks got heavier and heavier and my eyelids began drooping. All this happening while a burning fire began to take place in my chest.

And finally my eyes got so heavy I closed them, before inhaling a huge breath of water.

Totally involuntarily.

See, our bodies will do that too. 

You cannot physically "hold your breath to death". At some point your body will take over, and you will end up sucking in hopefully air, but more likely water.

Our bodies do a lot of things to help us stay alive. But sometimes they're the very things that end up killing us.

#########################################################################################################################################

                                                           {Present Day}

                                                              Point of View:

                                             ++Pelops/Aaron++(Tantalus's Son)

################################################################################################################################### 

My scream hits the water-soundless- as she opens her mouth as well, and I watch in complete horror as her head rolls back.

The water burns as it goes into my body, but I know my lungs will have no trouble getting it out eventually. I am more concerned about the girl in front of me.