δεκαεννέα

{Present Day}

                                             Point of View:

                        !!Atropos (Severer of the Life Thread)!!

################################################################################################################################## 

"Here," Chloe sets a cup of tea in front of me, and I smile weakly. It's been a long day, and it's not even over yet.

"Thanks," I murmur, and wrap my hands around the steaming beverage.

"How many more do you have?" Chloe asks as she moves my papers around on the table.

I run my finger down the column marked September 10th. "It looks like seven or eight more. Today's a busy one. The obits are gonna be full this week, that's for sure."

Chloe flinches slightly at my words. Since she's the one who creates the thread-who basically creates life- she and I have always had to tread water around each other. I destroy what she creates-essentially. She knows it's my job, but I know it still bothers her.

"Well, I'll leave you to it then," Her voice is significantly softer than it was when she walked in, but I pretend not to notice it. I instead nod as she leaves.

I blow on the tea as I select another folder from the pile on the table. I flick it open and glance over it briefly. 

"Name: Jillian Mills

Current Place of Residency: USA, Virginia, Alexandria

Date of Birth: 7/26/1968

Date of Death: 9/10/13"

There are other things in the folder of course. Family, college certificate, her dreams, profession, a copy of every illness she's ever had. But none of that is important to me. This folder will go right back where we got it once I'm done.

I pull out my iPhone and click on the app only I have. It was designed by Zeus himself. I used to use different methods for this of course, but this is easier. When technology got big, my job got a lot simpler. 

The screen pulls up and says, "Name:______ ________ Place of Residency: _________ Cause of Death: ________"

I punch in Jillian Mills's name into the first box, and her country, state, and city in the second one. 

I tap my head with a pen thinking about the last one. I mentally run through the list of what causes of death I've used today. I take a sip of tea, and punch in "Heart Attack" into the last box.

I open the folder back up and grab a chunk of gold thread from the inside pocket. Hovering the pointer finger of my right hand over the "SEND" button on the screen, I pull out my green and white scissors from my pocket with the other. And holding it between the pieces of thread, I find the place where Elli marked with a sharpie.

I hit the button on my phone at the same time I snip the life thread of Jillian Mills.

Jillian Mills. Lives in Virginia. Died of a heart attack.

I sigh and close the app on my phone before dumping the thread in the trash can beside my desk. I glance down at it, and see the gold of all the thread I've cut today. When you cut the thread, it no longer shines.