Fates, Furies and Freckles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                               PROLOGUE                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How did the supper go, father?"

I slam the door behind me as my son looks up at me with a somber face. He can tell it was a disaster, I know. I run a hand through my honey colored locks and sigh through my nose furiously.

The gods had graciously invited me to have dinner with them on Mount Olympus. I managed to keep my jokes and wit (which they don't appreciate whatsoever) under my belt for most of the meal. Everything was going smoothly until I tucked some ambrosia and honey away for later. Well, it was for Pelops, the seven year old boy standing in front of me, but I'd never tell anyone that.

They discovered the hidden treats among me as I was leaving, however. And they were horrendously angry with me. 

"Father?"

Pelops tugs on my coat and I look down at him, annoyed. Can't he tell I'm emotionally distressed?

"Not now, Pelops," I huff and walk into the kitchen.

It's a mess.

"Dear gods, Pelops! It looks like a Chimera got loose in the kitchen! What happened, son?!"

He walks into the kitchen slowly, "I was trying to make you a cake. I had a feeling things wouldn't go too well today."

Great. Even my own son doesn't believe I can survive a single dinner.

"Clean. It. Up. Right. Now." I storm out of the kitchen, a new found rage beginning to take over. 

I never get angry. Anger is something I've never struggled with. I've always buried it under jokes or pranks. So why am I so unbelievably angry?

It's because you wanted the gods to like you, Tantalus, A voice whispers in my head. But it's not my own. It's surprisingly... female.

I shove the voice away. refusing to listen to it.

If you sacrificed something to the gods, surely they would forgive you, it whispers again, more forceful this time. Like it knows I'm trying to ignore it.

Pelops walks into the room, covered in flour, "Where do we keep the soap?"

An overwhelming need to hurt him begins to take root in my heart. It scares me.

Sacrifice him, it whispers.

And I do.

-----------------------------------------------

------------

If any of you know Greek mythology, I hope you're jumping up and down in your seats right now!

And if I don't know it that well, I sincerely hope you'll stick around for the ride:)

I'm so excited for this book! Mythology is something I've been obsessed with for years, and I'm so stoked to get to finally write a book about it!

The next chapter will take place in today's time, so don't worry, it won't all take place this far back:)

Vote and comment, please?!

Let me know your thoughts on this new idea!!

~Juliana True