A Winter's Ball VI

LEOS'S POV

It was quiet uptown.

After Philip's death, Leo and you and your remaining family moved uptown. It was too hard to be in the place where Philip grew up. The feeling was tough to describe, the words couldn't reach you, to try and describe the pain.

The utter feeling of hopelessness. Emptiness. Feeling hollow. Not a new feeling, but at an unbearable magnitude.

Most days, Leo stayed inside, doing some light reading, like War & Peace and Webster's Dictionary. Other days, Leo read this ridiculous series called "Heroes of Olympus." It was so dumb, especially this "Leo" character.

Anyways, the Valdezs lived in a new house uptown. It was a quaint little thing, but it was a house, not a home. If home was where the heart was, Leo's home had been ripped out of his chest and stomped on.

Leo opened the door to the new house. He shared it with the other three members of your family. Boxes were scattered about, half unpacked and stuff strewn about. Leo collapsed into a chair, worn out. Days were draining, he never felt rested, and he felt as if he had never been happy.

Leo was pretty sure he was going insane. He'd spend hours in the library, and walk alone to the store. He could hear people whispering about him, he could hear their pity from a mile away. And he hated that he was pitied, he hated that he was in a position that people felt the need to pity him.

Definitely insane.

(Y/n) came into the house, her hands full of groceries. Leo didn't move to help her. They hadn't really talked since the told him she wanted to get a divorce. The divorce was on hold until everything revolving around Philip was settled.

"Hello, Leo," (y/n) sighed.

"Hello, (y/n)."

Leo could hear (y/n) moving through the house, opening and closing drawers in the kitchen. The monotonous noise made Leo think. He got up and went into the kitchen. He stopped in the doorway and watched her finish the chore.

"(Y/n)?" Leo said softly. She looked at him, her soft eyes seeming to plead for peace, for a peaceful night of no fighting.

"Yes?" She said softly.

"Would you like to go for a walk with me? So we can talk?" (Y/n) wiped her hands on her towel and straightened her posture.

"Sure," she said. (Y/n) grabbed her purse and walked out of the house, not bothering to wait for Leo.

Leo took a deep breath and tried to find a way to start this conversation. "I know I don't deserve you, (y/n), but please," his voice broke, "just hear me out. That would be enough."

(Y/n) sucked in a breath. She almost always started crying whenever Leo did, and he was on the verge of tears. Leo sat down next to her on a park bench and took her hand in his.

"If I could spare his life," Leo started, giving your hand a small squeeze. "If I could trade Philip's life for mine," Leo sniffled back tears and watched (y/n) wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Leo tried to begin again. "Philip would be standing here right now, and you would smile, and that would be enough for me. Just to see you happy."

Leo wrapped his arm around (y/n), pulling her closer to him. "I can't pretend to know the challenges you're facing," Leo's voice gave out. He cried for a while, he cried with (y/n) on the park bench until he found his voice. "I know there's no replacing what we've lost. And I know you need time to heal."

(Y/n) wrapped her arms around Leo, hugging him and burying her face in his chest. "I love you," she whispered. "I love you, I love you, I love you, Leo. How are we going to do this?"

"I'm not afraid," Leo started. He wanted to tell her to have hope, for she was his hope.

"I know who I married," Leo cupped her face with his hands. "Just let me stay here by your side, and that would be enough for me."

(Y/n) kissed him, closing the space between them on the park bench. When she pulled away, you got off the bench and held out to Leo. Leo gladly took it and walked in step with you.

"Let's go home," (y/n) said softly.

AN: Whoa, that was sad. But finally! I'm done!! WOOOHOOO!! I'll be taking requests in the comments, but please remember, I don't write lemons. If you ask, the comment will promptly be deleted.

Another thing I'd like to address; Piper McLean. On my old chapters, some people have been commenting how "out of character" Piper is, and to be honest, they're right. I know this. But frankly, it's unnecessary because it's not like I'm going to change it! So please, don't waste my time telling me things I already know.

Have a great day, muffins!
~OddSocks