You'll Be Okay

AN: This ones actually quite sad. Just a warning. Love you guys!!

Of all the ways to die as a demigod, this has to be the stupidest.

Cancer.

Cancer.

Stupid terminal cancer in a late stage. You were going to die, and were going to do it slowly and painfully. Yup, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and you were dying.

Life of a demigod.

You couldn't go to a hospital. To many ways to die quicker. You had to sit on a camp bed while the Apollo cabin rotated shifts on watching you. Asher was in the infirmary now, reading a book called "A Series of Unfortunate Events." Truth be told.

You've discovered that the toughest thing about cancer isn't the physical pain, it's watching others around you prepare for your death. Watching them feel pain more intense than yours. And knowing some cry themselves to sleep because of you.

The bell above the infirmary rang, announcing a new arrival. Asher put his book down and pretended to do medical stuff. When you finally saw who had came in, heart leaped into your throat.

It was your boyfriend, Leo Valdez.

His visits were always the worst. You could see his heart breaking into a million pieces, and there was nothing you could do to fix it. He would always try to smile around you, but other campers would tell you it looked like he was dying inside.

"Hey Valdez," you said.

"Hey (L/n)," he replied. "How are you?"

"Oh, I'm good. I've got terminal cancer, but life's other wise good."

You see his lip twitch up for a second and you take that as a good sign.

"What have you been doing Leo? Changed the world with your need inventions yet?" He smiled, and you giggled.

"I've actually been working on this project where photos, print photos, will move like videos," Leo smiled, his eyes lighting up. You smiled too, but then remembered that these moments would soon be gone.

"What's wrong, (y/n)?" Leo asked, his eyes filling with worry.

"I'm dying, Leo."

❀❃❀❃❀

Twenty days later, you had run out of time. The cancer had completely taken over your body. Nobody could predict how long you had left, you just knew it wouldn't be long.

You looked at the window and saw the array of flowers brought on for you. They had never been changed, so the oldest ones were dying, just like you.

The door rang, and you heard footsteps. You had gotten good at relying on other senses than sight, since you had been stuck in that bed. The person was carrying roses.

"Leo?" You asked.

"Hey, (y/n)," Leo replied. Leo was obviously tired and upset. His eyes were bloodshot.

"Leo, please find someone else once I'm gone."

"What?!"

"Find someone else. Don't shut down. Don't shut people out. Please. I won't be here much longer to fix you," you said, fighting back the tears.

"What are you talking about?" Leo asked, worry and confusion in his voice. "You'll be okay."

"Leo," you spoke gently this time. "I don't have much more time. Please learn to love again. Please be happy. Please smile once I'm gone."

"You're going to be okay (y/n), what are you talking about?" Leo asked.

Your breathing became labored. You tried to hide it, but Leo immediately noticed.

"Go get help." He ordered the Apollo kid on duty.

Your time was short. A tear came from one eye and slowly ran down your face.

"Leo tell me the joke you said when we first met," you breathed. It was hard to talk.

"Wh-wha-what did-" Leo started and broke down crying. He hugged your now tiny frame. "Please don't leave me," he cried. "Please. You'll be okay. Please! You're the best thing that ever happened to me, I can't lose you (y/n)! I can't!"

Will and the other Apollo kids burst into the room, barking orders that you couldn't hear. It all blurred together.

"You'll be okay," Leo said. "You'll be okay."

The bed you were on started to move. You kissed Leo's cheek.

"Please smile again," you whispered.

Everything blurred. You focused on the stars, the star mural on the ceiling.

"(Y/n), stay with us."

"Focus on the sound of my voice."

"Keep your eyes open, (y/n)."

Everything faded into a white light and the sound of the ocean.

❀❃❀❃❀

Will Solace walked into the room where Leo was waiting. As much as it pained the both of them, three heart breaking words had to be said.

"We lost her."

AN: Tears right? You died. Don't kill me! It's amazing what 45 minutes in a car can accomplish. I'm very bored right now so I just wrote a traumatic death scene! ((Where did my parents go wrong?))
Hasta la Pasta,
~OddSocks