Chapter Thirteen

Walking into physics class, Chris Jake and I saw Mr. Ethan behind Peter's desk. The boys groaned as we took our seats. When is he coming back? I miss him, I thought. When all the seats were full, Mr. Ethan put on a new movie for the class to watch. I wasn't in the mood to watch a movie. Mrs. May has been missing for nearly a week. I was beginning to think that Mrs. May was never going to return, not alive anyway. I shook my head. Don't think like that. Mrs. May is fine, I told myself. No matter how many times I said it to myself, I couldn't believe it. I sighed and put my head down on my desk. The classroom phone started ringing. Mr. Ethan stood up and took the call outside.
I felt a tap on my shoulder. I lifted my head to see Mr. Ethan, "You are wanted in the office my dear."
"Should I bring my stuff with me?"
"I would just in case."
I told Jake and Chris goodbye as I grabbed my things and headed down the office.
Turning the corner to get to the office. I saw Jesse and office employees with red faces. I stopped walking as I knew exactly what Jesse were going say. I dropped my books and covered my mouth while turning around. Jesse turned me around. I looked at the space between my feet. "Where did they find her?" I asked.
"Side of the highway," Jesse answered with his voice trembled.
I bit my lip as I ran my fingers through my hair while tears streamed down my cheeks. Jesse pulled my close and hugged my tightly. His fingers went along my back as rubbed my back to comfort me. Jesse pulled back and looked at me. "Cassie what am I feeling?" Jesse asked as the tears were replaced with fright.
"Nothing," I say stepping backwards while holding myself.
"Are you being a-"
"I'm sick," I lied cutting him off quietly. "The doctors don't know what it is."
Jesse's face softened. "I'm so sorry Cassie."
"Is the murder killing redheads now?" I asked changing the subject.
Jesse nodded, "A few redheads were near the scene yes."
I shook my head in disgust. I wish I could tell Jesse about the masked man, but I needed the masked man in my corner for a little longer.
I skipped the rest of the day and went to Peter's house. I held my phone tightly in my hand contemplating whether I should call Peter. I took a deep breath and put the phone to my ear. Ringing, ringing, "Hello?"
"Hey, when are you coming home?" I asked trying to control my voice.
"Soon. Everybody is starting to leave and since I'm her grandson, I think I'm expected to leave after everyone. Are you alright Cassie? You sound as if you have been crying?"
My eyes watered, blurring my vision completely as I let out the sad sigh I've been holding in. "He killed her Peter, he killed Mrs. May," I told him in a clear, raspy voice.
"Oh Cassie, I'm so sorry. I know how close you two were. I'll be home as soon as I can."
I nodded, "OK."
"OK? I hate to do this to you, but I have to go. My dad is having one of his drunken rages again. I'll be home soon," Peter reminded me, "Be safe Cassie."
"Peter," I quickly said into the phone before we disconnected the call.
"Yes?" Peter said as I could tell he was smiling.
"I love you," I confessed.
There was a pause. Then, a chuckle of relief. "Cassie, you have no idea how scared I was to say it first," Peter said, "I love you too."
I smiled through my tears. Peter made sure I was going to be alright before we ended the call. Rocky nuzzled his head into my lap. I smiled sadly down at Rocky and praised him for being such a good dog.
Later on in the day, I was finally able to come home. I placed my dirty clothes in the hamper and my clean clothes back into the drawers. When my bag was empty, I went in the bathroom as I heard a moo. I took my phone out. Red hot, Xoxo, I read the text message.
What does that mean? I wondered looking around. My eyes glued themselves to the back of the toilet. Its dark and wet. No one can see me until they lift me.
I took a deep breath and lifted the cover of the toilet slowly and soundlessly. My eyes widened as I saw a bloody knife inside and plastic bag. I took my phone out and took a picture. "What are you doing?" I heard my father ask as he banged on the door.
I put the toilet cover back on and flushed the toilet. I opened up the door. "Personal lady things," I answered.
Dad looked at me in disgust. "Get out of the way," he told me while pulling me out of the way.
I went into my room and grabbed the book with the note from the bottom shelf. I took the note from in between the pages and slid the note in my phone case. I have everything I need to put Dad away. Now I just need to tell Jesse, I sighed as I put the book back, I can't do that right now.

Not going to lie, but I shed a few tears for Mrs. May, did you? Be honest
Thanks for reading, I hope you liked it :)
Don't forget to vote if you liked it and/or comment
Happy reading!!