Knave turned Knight

Start from the beginning

"Art! Deckard!" a familiar voice called out, "Where are you guys?"

"Hailey!" Art shouted back as Hailey heard his call, which made her pace towards the basement and descended the staircase that led her to them. Arriving at the scene, Hailey's nose inhaled a foul stench that made her cover her nose and frown at Art, who was smiling from ear to ear, glad that she was safe. "Hailey, thank god you're okay!"

"Art," Hailey spoke behind her hand as she squinted her eyes whilst fanning the air around her; the malodorous stench has filled the basement and her nose could not fathom the smell. She slowly made her way towards his whining voice as she looked down on the floor, hoping not to step onto puddles of whoever it was who decided to urinate there. "Why does it stink here?"

"No time for chit chat, chica," Art dismissed her question as he tried to approach her and made clinking noise from behind him, which caught Hailey's slightly uninterested attention, "We're trapped here and we need to break free."

"Who chained you here?" Hailey questioned as she got closer to him just as the smell became stronger, which made her groan in disgust before she tried to examine the chains around his wrists, "Seriously, Art? You peed yourself?"

"No, that's just beer you're smelling," Art denied as he looked away for a moment as Hailey noticed the embarrassment in him, which made her want to laugh but stifled it for now as she tried to look for a way to unchain him from the pipes, "Any luck?"

"I need a key," Hailey replied as she backed away to look around for it.

"Ask Mr. Tough Guy over there," Art pointed with his pursed lips which Hailey followed, then found Deckard staring at the floor as if contemplating heavily, "He might have an idea where to find it."

Nodding, Hailey walked over to the spaced out Deckard, who raised his head at the sound of her close footstep. He flashed a smile at her like he usually greeted everyone, but the happiness on his face did not weigh on his actions; he looked as though he had troubled breathing or to be frank, had a hard time accepting that he was in such a position. It was a disgrace to be held up for a man like him – a clan-raised tactical and weaponised killer.

"Hey there," he tried to chirp but found himself coughing out the words, "It's good to see you're okay."

Hailey nodded as she noticed the dried blood on around his neck, "Likewise," she acknowledged as she felt the hopelessness in him for some reason. Approaching him, she felt something familiar from him that made her raise a brow; it felt as though he was there but at the same time he was not there, like he was someone else.

I must be thinking too much, she thought as she shook her head and examined the link of chains behind him. The old rusted chain held him tight – so tight that the skin of his wrist had gotten red from the grip around them; blood could almost escape the thin veil of skin, but somehow it did not as if he was regenerating faster than an average human – like a non-mortal.

"What happened to you, Hailey?" Deckard asked as he kept his eyes behind her, aware that there was another presence that was lurking about in the shadows.

"We," Hailey tried to find the words to explain, but found nothing that would be easy to say at that point; a lot of things were running insider her mind, but right now, despair and guilt were not viable to be in her. "Got trapped in a fissure."

"The land tore behind the house?" Deckard raised a brow with scepticism in him, "Funny, I didn't see any when I came to check on you."

"I'll explain later," Hailey sighed silently as she found no way of unshackling him either then stood up to look down on him, "You know how to get out of those chains?"