Ten: Gerita

For: @TealPotatoes

Feliciano skipped around the fields, swinging his empty basket happily around in a circle while going in search of some sweet smelling things. That mainly meant herbs and flowers, but it was all the same to him. I'll give them to Doitsu later, when he gets back! Germany was away in town on business, something he never would tell Feli about. He didn't mind not know, but it always did bother him why he wasn't trusted by the older German. Maybe he doesn't want me to be hurt. Aww, Luddy's so sweet! Feliciano smiled, giggling to himself as he bent to pick a group of flowers at his feet before stopping.

He heard something, like a rustling in the bushes. It was followed by a whimpering cry and the crunching of the inside of what could be thought to be a basket. And as expected, his curiosity got the better of him. He stood up, glanced around the field before carefully heading towards the sound. He pushed tall grasses and bunches of flowers out of the way, trying to spy this mystery noise maker.

He must have been only a few minutes when he came across a basket, the top covered with a blanket the color of the grass around it. Feli had barely saw it at all, weren't it for the slight movement inside.

"Now, what do we-a have here?" He carefully untucked a corner, making a soft squeak of surprise. Inside was a sleeping baby, no older than a month. Beside her was a small puppy, the dog's eyes a sweet golden brown like its fur. A German short-haired pointer, from the looks. "Aww, now what are you doing out here?" Feliciano sat down on the ground, legs crossed and his herb picking forgotten. The puppy made small growling noises, protecting the baby with its life. From his pocket Feli drew out a piece of meat and fed it to the tiny animal.

"Feliciano?" Ludwig must have noticed his bike on the road home from work and went looking for him. "Feli, what are you doing?" He was in his uniform, like usual, but a few of the buttons at the top were undone.

"Look at what I found!" He stooped down beside his cheerful husband, looking at the caramel haired child. "Isn't she precious?" Feliciano was over the moon and sun, picking up the puppy that was looking for more meat. "And look what tagged along!" Feli squished the pup against his cheek, kissing its belly.

"Feli we have to find out who these two belong to." Ludwig tucked the blanket back over the baby, noticing a note safety pinned to the top. It was in Italian, which he could barely even begin to understand. "Will you read this? It's not German." Feliciano looked at the note, skimming over it.

"It says:
If you have found Bella, then keep her. I am unable to take proper care of her but I don't wish for her to go with her father - he would have killed her by now if he knew. Take Bouncer with you, he'll never leave. He'll make a good guard dog. Thank you." Feliciano glanced down at the pup, who was reaching to his name. Bouncer, as he was now called, was sitting patiently. "Maybe they knew I would be by here. You know I'm here everyday, Luddy."

"Possibly. First, we have to get home. When there we can worry about all of this." Feliciano carefully picked up the basket, depositing the dog back inside with its protectiveness fighting the blanket. He managed to get under there with the baby, now named Bella. Italian for beautiful.

"I got your bike, or do you want to ride ahead?" Ludwig had the other basket that had been forgotten in the trailer attached to the bicycle.

"I'll walk with you. It's not that far." He smiled really big at the usually strict German. They had always wanted a baby. Now we have one, even if all our attempts have failed. Maybe God does like me.

The end. 😃. I imagine Feli as a Catholic if others might not so meh. Hope you liked it!