Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

“Wake up, Angel,” my dad said. I smiled at the sound of his voice and opened my eyes to see him standing beside my bed.

“Come on, Lexi. Get dressed then come downstairs for breakfast,” he told me and I nodded. He left my bedroom and I rolled out of bed. I got dressed then went to freshen up.

By the time I had finished getting ready and had my breakfast it was 9am. My dad smiled at me as we got into his car. I fastened my seatbelt and checked my phone. I had a message from Caiden.

I miss you, green eyes.

I smiled and texted back.

I can’t wait to see you tonight.

My dad put a new CD in and I smiled at the familiar sound of Daughter.

“I got it for you,” he told me.

“Thanks, Dad,” I replied as he drove us away from the house.

After a fifteen minute drive, Dad pulled up outside a building and turned to look at me.

“Come on then, Princess,” he said. I smiled and got out of the car. My dad and I walked into the building. He seemed to know his way around quite well as he led me through the corridors. We walked into a room where there was a desk and a woman sat behind it. She smiled when she saw my dad.

“Sylvia will be right with you,” she told him. Just as she turned back to her computer, a door behind her opened and a woman came out of the opening.

“Nathan,” the woman said and smiled. My dad gave her a hug and they exchanged a few kind words before turning to me.

“This must be Alexis,” she said and my dad nodded.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Sylvia Young. If you’ll both follow me we can get your auditions started,” she explained before walking out of the room with the two of us in tow. I tugged on my dad’s jacket sleeve and he looked down at me.

“What’s wrong?” he asked me.

“What’s going on?” I questioned.

“This is the Sylvia Young Theatre School. You’re about to audition to get in,” he told me and I frowned.

“Dad, I can’t play any instruments,” I replied.

“Have you ever tried?” he questioned. He smiled when I didn’t reply.

“Here we are,” Sylvia said as we went into a small room with a few musical instruments in the corner. She shut the door behind us and took a seat at the front of the room. My dad sat beside her and I stood in the middle of the room fiddling with my t-shirt.

“Okay then, Alexis. Why don’t you start by playing an instrument? Piano, guitar?” Sylvia suggested.

“I can’t actually play an instrument,” I replied. She nodded.

“Okay, can you dance?” she asked and I shrugged.

“Yeah but I haven’t prepared anything,” I answered and she nodded once again.

“Let’s try a song then,” she suggested. I nodded and thought for a moment about what song to sing. I finally decided on one close to my heart that I knew word for word, one that I could put my own twist on. I cleared my throat and took in a deep breath before closing my eyes.

“Skies are crying, I am watching, catching teardrops in my hands. Only silence as it’s ending, like we never had a chance. Do you have to make me feel like there is nothing left of me?” I sang and kept my eyes closed. I took in another deep breath before going into the chorus.