Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

“She’s my little girl though,” I heard my dad say.

“But you have to give her freedom. You’ve only just found her so you can’t be so strict. She doesn’t know you one hundred percent yet,” Jay replied.

“I don’t want her to get hurt.”

“You will hurt her if you keep going as you are. Caiden clearly cares about her and wouldn’t dream of hurting her.”

“I guess. I just want her to be my little girl.”

“I get that, mate. But just remember that you’ve missed out on thirteen years of her life. I know you wished that you hadn’t but you did so you need to accept that and be less strict with her.”

My dad sighed then I heard footsteps. I quickly headed for the stairs before I was seen.

“Lexi?” I heard my dad say. I froze before slowly turning around.

“Uh…hi,” I said. My dad raised his eyebrow and I looked at the floor.

“Did you hear any of that?” he asked and I nodded.

“I only want what’s best for you,” he told me and I nodded understandingly.

“How about you and I go out for tea tonight?” he suggested.

“Yeah. That sounds good,” I replied.

“Okay. We’ll go at five. Go and get ready,” he told me. I turned around and jogged up the stairs. Maybe things between me and my dad would be okay. I mean, I loved him but Caiden had to be in my life. I guess my dad wanted to be my number one. And he would be in time. But I just wanted Caiden and my dad to get along. At the end of the day, they both had my best interest at heart.

I walked into my bedroom and started flicking through clothes in my wardrobe. I settled on a floral playsuit and took it out of my wardrobe. I quickly got changed then plaited my hair before checking my phone. I had a text from Caiden.

Missing you.

I smiled before replying.

I’m missing you too. I’ll see you at my house tomorrow night.

I put my phone in the pocket of my playsuit and went back downstairs. Jay was just leaving and he waved at me as he stepped out of the house. Nathan turned to look at me and smiled.

“You look beautiful,” he told me and I smiled.

“Thanks, Dad,” I replied and slipped on some white pumps. My dad put on his jacket before opening the front door. I stepped outside while pulling on my jacket and my dad locked the door. The two of us walked down to his car and we both got in.

“Right, let’s go,” he said and started the car. He drove us along the dirt track while I flicked through radio channels. I settled on Capital FM just as Show Me Love finished.

“It’s a great song,” I said.

“Thanks, Lexi,” my dad replied. We finally came to the main road and my dad turned left.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Just a little restaurant not far from here,” my dad answered and I smiled.

About ten minutes later my dad pulled up in a small car park that was almost empty. He got out of the car and I did the same.

“It’s just a short walk from here,” he told me. I followed him along a small path which took us out onto a busy street. My dad took my hand and pulled me into a small restaurant.