Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

“So, what do you want to do today?”

“I’m not fussed.”

After my talk with dad, I had promised that I would tell him what was bothering me when I was ready. I wasn’t ready to tell him about Jasmine just yet. Our relationship was still new itself and if I told him that his wife was threatening me, I didn’t think he would believe me. We may have loved each other and all that jazz, but right now, it could look like I was just attention-seeking. I didn’t want my own dad to think of me as that. I knew that I wasn’t and so did Caiden, but right now, it was just best if he didn’t know. I didn’t want to be seen as a liar.

“Let’s just go for walk then,” Caiden said, snapping me out of my trance. I weakly smiled and stood up, offering my hand to Caiden. Caiden’s soft hand brushed against mine as he grasped it and stood by my side. “Let’s go.”

We headed towards the front door and I grabbed my coat, sliding it on.

“Dad, me and Caiden are heading out,” I shouted up the stairs. It didn’t take long for the hammering of feet to sound and for dad to rush down the stairs, stopping in front of me.

“Where are you two going? Don’t be going too far. It’s not safe,” Dad questioned; I mentally face-palmed at how embarrassing he sounded.

“Dad, we’ll be fine. It’s not like I’ll be on my own; I have Caiden.” I reached for Caiden’s hand and entwined our fingers. “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

“Caiden, take care of her. You don’t want to find out what happens if you don’t,” Dad snarled.

“Dad!” I exclaimed. I couldn’t believe that he had just spoken to Caiden like that.

“I’m sorry, but I only want what’s best for you, Alexis.”

“Yeah, but Caiden won’t harm me! I get that you want me to be happy, but just don’t talk to Caiden like that. You may not like it, but I hope to be with Caiden for a very long time, so please just be nicer towards him. He’s done nothing wrong.”

“Alexis-“

“No, it’s fine. Caiden and I need to get going now anyways. I’ll talk to you later,” I replied to dad. I reached over and gave him a kiss on his cheek and hugged him. “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too, sweetheart. Just please stay safe,” he said, holding me tight.

“I will. C’mon, Caiden.” I grabbed Caiden’s hand again and walked towards the door. Caiden and I called out our goodbyes, gaining no response from Jasmine; of course. Caiden put a hand against my chest and stood in front of me, reaching for the door handle and opening it for me.

“Ladies first.” Caiden winked. I mockingly curtsied and giggled to myself as I walked outside. I stood at the bottom of the steps to the door and waited for Caiden to catch up after he shut the door. He stood next to me and smiled at me. A smile automatically formed on my face and our hands held the other’s tightly, never wanting to let go.

For around ten minutes we walked in a comfortable silence. Our hands never loosened and no words needed to be spoken. The moment was already perfect. Five minutes later and we had reached a park that was nearer town. I dragged Caiden along to the swings and he sat down. I went to sit on the one next to him, but was stopped by him tapping his lap and calling me over.

“Sit here,” he said gesturing to his lap. I grinned widely and sat down, resting my arms around Caiden’s neck. Caiden gently rocked back and forth on the swing, but held his arms around my waist tightly.