xxxi. starting over again

Finale Preparation

I left the taxi, leaving mom, who was travelling to work. Approaching the building, I walked to the escalator, entering it and pressing the button for the twentieth floor. Suddenly, a hand blocked the door from closing. Startled, I looked up to see...

Juan Karlos Labajo.

Silence. Dull, stern and awkward silence drifting through the air as it was a barrier between us. Instead of standing there next to the conceited boy, I grabbed my phone, downloading Wattpad in order to occupy meaningless minutes. Ylona had informed me about Vixie's username, so I'm curious to know the content of her story.

As the app was installing, I look up to see that Juan Karlos had pressed all of the buttons, up till the twentieth. The jerk.

I sighed, rolling my eyes, "What do you want, Juan Karlos?" I asked frustratedly, infuriated that he pressed all the floor numbers.

"You," He replied bluntly, lifting his feet up and down.

What's up with this 'heartthrob?' He was just with Evangeline one day in Cebu, and now he's after me in Manila.

"Shouldn't you be with Evangeline?" I turn away, crossing my arms and avoiding eye contact.

"Listen, Ava Babes—" He pleaded, grabbing my arm as I stare into his eyes, full of desperation. I look at him for a second coldly.

"Its Ava. We're not close anymore," I hiss at him, removing his hands from my arms.

"Ava, I need you! I need you! Please, Ava! I'm going crazy! Heck, I'm even falling for Evangeline with this spell you put on me! Ava Babes, please!" He kneels on the floor, grabbing my hands and kissing them, tears escaping his eyes.

"Juan Karlos—"

"Ava, ever since I fought Darren, it always haunts me, it stabs me in the back, it makes me regret that jerk I was. But I've changed, believe me. I just need you back in my life. Even if I don't receive an apology, or a new start to a friendship, I don't care. I just want to see you. Please. Kahit hindi mo ako mahal," He begged, causing me to gulp in guilt.

Maybe his intentions are good, maybe he won't be such a jerk anymore, yet a friend who keeps his distance for a while. Maybe. Just maybe. Change is possible. Should I give in? Ugh, I'm too nice.

"Juan Karlos, sige. Keep your distance though. And never ever hurt the ones I love, okay?" I replied, laugh crying, pulling him up as he dried his tears.

"TALAGA! YES! AVA BABES!" Juan Karlos exclaims, embracing me tightly.

"Okay, okay... Not that close though," I faintly giggle as he scratches his arm.

"Acquaintances?"

"Acquaintances."

We shook hands, as his eyes glistened with joy and hope. Maybe change will happen. Slightly, I grin at him for a few seconds, afterwards hearing the doors open for the twentieth floor. He sighs as we both exit the door.

"See you around?" He asks with a cheeky smirk.

"Yeah, around," I reply nodding and smiling, turning right to see Darren approaching us.