vii. showtime

"Ava Sullivan, proceed to the stage please."

I gulped. This was it.

I did the sign of the cross as I entered the stage, gripping tightly onto my microphone.

The track started to play.

Young girl, don't cry
I'll be right here when your world starts to fall
Young girl, it's alright
Your tears will dry, you'll soon be free to fly

When you're safe inside your room you tend to dream
Of a place where nothing's harder than it seems
No one ever wants or bothers to explain
Of the heartache life can bring and what it means

Coach Bamboo turned.

When there's no one else
Look inside yourself
Like your oldest friend
Just trust the voice within
Then you'll find the strength
That will guide your way
You'll learn to begin
To trust the voice within

Yeah...
Life is a journey
It can take you anywhere you choose to go
As long as you're learning
You'll find all you'll ever need to know (be strong)
You'll break it (hold on)
You'll make it (be strong)
Just don't forsake it because
(No one can tell you what you can't do)
No one can stop you, you know that I'm talking to you

Coach Sarah turned.

When there's no one else
Look inside yourself
And like your oldest friend
Just trust the voice within
Then you'll find the strength
That will guide your way
You will learn to begin
To trust the voice within

Coach Lea turned.

Young girl don't cry
I'll be right here when your world starts to fall

After I sang, the crowd went wild screaming and chanting 'Ava, Ava!' I laughed in joy, tears shedding from the overwhelming support. All three coaches were amazed at my vocal range, mouths open wide as they gave me a standing ovation, encouraging the audience to do the same.

"Ano ang pangalan mo, hija? Coach Lea questioned, still in awe.

"Ava Sullivan po," I replied, trembling, the fact that all three coaches turned for me not sinking in.

"Saan ka nakatira Ava?" Asked Coach Sarah, grinning.

"Originally po I lived in Germany, tapos London, then my dad died, so we moved here with my Lola sa Rizal," I responded.

"Aw, I'm sorry, hija," Coach Lea sympathised. I smiled in gratitude.

"Ok lang po yun, salamat," I quietly said, awkwardly laughing, remembering dad for a few moments.

"Well, let's get to your singing," Coach Bamboo exclaimed enthusiastically. "Ava, I think your singing is superb and heavenly," He complimented in a British accent. Everyone in the room laughed. "It would be a pleasure to have you in my team," He teased again.

"Well, Ava I think your voice is fantastic and your vocal range is amazing! I'd super love to have you in my team, further developing your voice," Coach Sarah complimented, resuming Coach Bamboo's joke. "Ano ba to, nosebleed!" She exclaimed, chuckling and cleaning her nose from the pretend nosebleed.

"Well, I don't know about them, joking around like fools over there but I can treat you as an artist seriously and help you gain more knowledge with singing. I am known internationally so..." Coach Lea confidently showed off, one of the staff people handing her a tray of her accomplishments and pictures from her Broadway shows. I giggled, feeling confused on who I should choose.

"It's up to you, Ava! But I think your heart is shouting, 'Ava, Ava choose Coach Bamboo!'" Coach Bamboo joked.

"Um, lahat po kayo magaling. Pero this coach I think understands me more in terms of my genre and will help me develop my voice and win this competition. This coach has been my idol ever since. Coach...," I trailed off, teasing the coaches and the audience.

The dramatic music kicked in...

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

Dun!

"Sarah," I cheerfully responded, smiling radiantly.

"Ayiee! Ava, welcome to my team! Gusto ko talaga ang boses mo. Welcome to Team Sarah," She greeted, placing a bracelet on my wrist and hugging me tight, making me feel welcomed.

"Thank you po," I waved exiting the stage, jumping up and down due to the fact that I got in!

I was escorted to the room where my family was watching my audition as I tightly embraced them all, jumping around at how well I did.

"OMG ATE YOU DID SO WELL!" Both Nadia and Fabian chorused in delight. I chuckled at their cuteness.

"Ano, mag Jollibee tayo?" Mom asked, beaming radiantly.

"YES!!!" We all cheered, racing out to go to Jollibee.

Before leaving the studio, JK caught up to me and embraced me tight, kissing my hand again.

"Well done, Ava babes," He smoothly congratulated, winking, his chestnut brown eyes glistening.

"Um, thanks!" I blurted blushing profusely running out rapidly due to shock.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

I saw Darren glaring at JK, which I wasn't sure why he did that, but all I was focuses on was Chicken Joy!

Food before boys, duh!

I'm so happy. I could win this, for dad for mom, for my siblings. You know what?

I can do this.

And I will do this.

For them.