xix. sing offs

The Sing Offs

This stage of the competition is the most important out of the previous ones. This determines your worth for the live shows. This could be my time to shine or my time to go.

After inhaling and exhaling out of anxiety, I shakily move the Baby Lips Blush and Balm on my lips, smudging some on my face awkwardly. I close my eyes and pray for my performance to go well, my hands trembling, my palms sweating. Before completely losing my mind, I see a familiar face behind the mirror of the dressing room.

Kuya Enrique!

"Pimples! Good luck sa performance mo!" Kuya cheered perkily, grinning with a loving glisten in his eyes.

"Kuya! Salamat! But, what are you doing here? Diba access lang to sa mga contestants?"

"Yes, but siyempre there's special access sa mga pogi katulad ko! And, I think you need this." Kuya explained, handing me my blue converse shoes which dad gave me on my 9th birthday. It was my lucky charm.

I grinned radiantly at Kuya, about to burst into tears reminiscing about dad. Sigh, I miss him so much.

"Hay nako Pimples! Stop crying! Paano na yung kinis na skin mo? Are you like on your period or something like everyday?" Kuya teases, rolling his eyes. I chuckled croakily.

"Sige na, okay lang ako. Join mom and the twins." I force a smile, still crying.

"Okay! Good luck! Huwag ka nang umiiyak. Break a leg!" He proclaims joyfully.

"Literally." He mutters with a slight sinister chuckle.

As he leaves, he passes by Darren.

"Hoy! Ikaw ha! Treat my sister right, okay? And she can't have acne okay?" Kuya lectures, winking at me which causes me to blush, embarrassed.

"Kuya!" I groan, crinkling my face whilst fists form in my hands. Nakakagigil ang Kuya ko minsan.

Frustratingly, I look back towards the mirror applying my blush this time, attempting to ignore Darren after the events two days ago, which contradicted my inner fangirl thoughts.

"Avocado? Are you okay? You're acting strange, like nothing happened between us."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

"Syempre naman I'm okay. It's just the nerves for the...sing offs." I respond hesitantly, blushing.

"Okay then. I'll see you later." He winks as well as grins.

HIS DIMPLE CAPTIVATES MY SOUL HELP!!!

"Good luck, Ava."

I place on my blue converse shoes despite them contrasting with my outfit and resumed doing my makeup.

Kaya ko to.

30 minutes later

Before I entered the stage, I had an interview with the camera staff/men.

"Ava, what song did you choose for this round and why?" They questioned.

"The song I chose po is 'Who You Are' by Jessie J kasi I can relate to the song. I used to be mistreated and seen as innocent and stupid in school so I was bullied. Despite all that, I learnt to be myself no matter what, and I found friends. So, yun po." I answered.