xxviii. flight and stories

Ava

"Cabin crew prepare for takeoff," one of the flight attendants announce as I grip tightly onto the arms of my chair. As much as I love the gorgeous, picturesque scene of the sky, the stomach churning as you ascend and descend is a definite no on my list.

Noticing my anxious expression, Darren placed his hands on mind, rubbing it for comfort. I forced a smile to thank him.

The plane was increasing its speed, building up its strength and shot towards the sky, as I grabbed onto Darren's hand, squeezing it for comfort. My palms were sweaty and my face looked as if it was compressed. It was when we were approaching the clouds that I settled down, at ease and opened the window blind.

Gorgeous. Utterly gorgeous. The moon had just awoken yet I could still see the beautiful land of the Philippines. We were travelling across the sea as I saw several islands along the way, looking peaceful and prestigious. I smiled in awe and amazement, staring at this wonderful country I took for granted. God is amazing.

"Ate, can you continue the story of the Sun and Moon? Pleaseeeeeeeeeee?" Lynelle asked, pouting like a cute puppy.

"Sige!" I exclaimed, as she clapped in happiness.

"What's this story, huh? I wasn't informed about a Sun and Moon love story," Darren questioned, scratching his head which made Lynelle giggle.

"Oh, oo nga pala. You were in hospital at the time. There was—"

"There was a graceful princess named Sun who one day encountered the charming Moon before she slept. One eclipse, they met again and instantly had a connection! But now, they have to wait for another eclipse to meet!" Lynelle cut me off, explaining perfectly.

"Wow baby! Ang galing mo mag remember!" I complimented, stroking her hair.

"Hm, I wonder who the story is based on?" Darren asked suggestively, winking at me.

"Shut up!" I retorted, poking my tongue at him.

"Continue, Ate!" Lynelle insisted, her eyes glistening with joy. I couldn't resist.

"Well, after the eclipse, Sun spent most of her waking hour thinking about the Moon and how considerate and gentleman like he was. She couldn't get him out of her head, and was beaming brightly than ever before. They only saw each other for a single glimpse each day when the Sun was about to sleep and when the Moon was about to wake. However, one day, the Sun's whole perspective on the Moon was going to change..."

"Oo! More!" Lynelle screeched.

"Boring! Napaka cliché!" Darren moaned.

"Che!" I shouted at him.

"Anyways, as the Sun was about to sleep, she saw that the Moon was talking to someone else! The Earth! She was completely shocked and sorrowful. Does this mean he's moved on? Does this mean he isn't the one for the Sun?"

"Huh! Oh no!" Lynelle pouted.

"That's all for now, baby. Matulog ka na," Darren interrupted, "Kailangan may alone time kami in Ate Ava mo," He whispered, smirking. I blushed profusely.

"Aww! Kuya!" She furrowed her eyebrows cutely.

"Shh, shh!"

"Lynelle, alam mo ba kung anong Tagalog sa 'Darren?'" I smirked.

"Ano?"

"Ebak," I laughed as Lynelle took it seriously. Darren looked at me in shock.

"Hindi—"

"Kuya Ebak! Hahahaha!" She laughed and went to bed.

"That'll put her to sleep," I giggled as Darren tickled me.

"HAHAHA! VERY FUNNY AVA!"

"Matulog ka na rin. Ako matutulog."

"For an hour?"

"Yuppppp." I replied, popping the 'p.'

"Sige, sleepy rin ako, dahil sa TVK."

"Goodnight, Dragonfruit."

"Goodnight, AvaCado." He smiled and drifted off to sleep. I quietly moved over to touch his dimple.

"I felt that," Darren giggled.

"Whatever," I retorted.

I felt a thump on my hair before I was about to shut my eyes.

"Sorry Baby!" I heard a deep, familiar voice apologise to me.

"Huh?" I turned around in confusion. Baby?

"Oh sorry, it's a habit." A foreign looking boy with glasses and shaggy brown hair covering his eyes spoke. By his side there was a girl with black hair, golden sunglasses and a long royal blue dress. I forced a smile at him and closed my eyes.

Weird.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

"Ate! Wake up! We're about to land!" Lynelle shouted, shaking my arms.

I opened my eyes to feel the plane gradually going down. My stomach churned horribly which made me grimace.

To ease myself, I looked towards the window, seeing the illuminated buildings upon arrival. Skyscrapers, cars and roads made up the nightlife of Cebu. Beautiful.

Down and down and down and down. We landed safely. Thank God. The flight attendant was informing us about the time and the temperature which was a blur.

"Thank you for flying Cebu Pacific, we hope to see you again."

I travelled down the stairs like a celebrity, poised and like a model.

"Huwag kang feeling, Ava!" Darren giggled, noticing my over exaggerated gestures.

"Che!" I answered back, glaring at him.

Once all the ID checks and several other things were completed, we got our luggage and hailed 5 taxis for the whole family.

We arrived at the Montebello Villa Hotel.