xxvii. teasing and spies

We were sat quietly in the car, all lost in our thoughts as we drove by the bustling city of Manila to the airport. Lynelle was soundly asleep, tucked in by a Minnie Mouse blanket. The rest of us were just appreciating the gorgeous sunset view we had.

Darren moved closer to me, making me uncomfortable as I blushed in awkwardness. I sat there rigid, only looking towards the window, avoiding eye contact. He just giggled.

"Are you avoiding me?" He whispers into my ear, sending butterflies through my stomach as I feel my ear tickle.

I gulped, "Hindi," I replied bluntly, as I attempted to pretend sleep.

He places his hand on my right knee, rubbing it and wraps his arm around me. Is he trying to kill me?

"Kinikilig ka no?" He asks, chuckling and noticing that I'm just pretending.

I moved to my side, eyes still shut yet I felt his breath on my back.

"Don't deny it." He whispers and kisses my cheek, sending shivers through my spine.

He kisses me on the cheek again, and again, and again until I open my eyes. Unexpectedly, I pounce on him like a tiger as he leaps in shock. I chuckle loudly as he furrows his eyebrows at me in tantrum.

"Come on, Espanto. That was pretty funny." I giggle as he resumes to cross his arms and scowl at me like I committed a crime.

I continue to laugh as he takes it as an advantage to steal a kiss from me.

On the lips.

I stand there frozen. Tense and shocked.

Finding the strength to speak proper English, I exclaim, "Diba your courting me? Kiss agad?!"

"Is my method working?" He whispers, smirking as if he were to put me in a trance, which obviously was working.

"You wish." I retort, smiling smugly.

"In denial." He giggled, pulling funny faces at me.

"Hindi ah!" I defend, throwing a pillow at him in pretend fury, causing him to raise his eyebrows at me.

"You wanna play that game, huh?" He smirked, grabbing another pillow.

We continue to have a pillow fight, giggling and tickling each other in joy, as he jumps on me, staring into my eccentric blue eyes. My eyes widening, I stare into his eyes, pondering on what he was going to do next. He moves closer.

Closer and closer and closer.

Then he swoops away evilly.

"IKAW HA!!!" I screech at him in frustration.

"HA HA! PAASA!" He screams in satisfaction, laughing menacingly.

"I hate you," I cross my arms and fake cry, which caused him to widen his eyes in shock.

"Never talk to me," I state sternly.

"Ava, I didn't mean—"

"JOKE!!!" I exclaim, smirking.