xvii. miracles

3 days later

It's felt like a century since Darren hasn't woke up from his coma. We've all been waiting here since we arrived, sulking.

I looked at the calendar by his bed.14th. No wonder why. This day will always be a bad day.

I had bought food from the cafeteria in the hospital and cautiously walked into the room in order to not wake everyone. Placing the food on the bedside table, I grabbed my phone to see a text from an anonymous number.

Give me a second chance, please!

JK, I know this is you. I don't want to hear any of it. You hurt my friend. You hurt people. And I don't want to be with someone like that.

AVA PLEASE!!! I'M BEGGING YOU I'LL DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE!
read 08:18

Sighing, I blocked the number, tears escaping my eyes. It has to be like this. Violence isn't the answer. With me, JK might become so competitive that we might lose someone; I can't risk that.

In a zombie like motion, I grabbed the bag from the bedside, setting it out on the table at the end of the room, organising the plastic utensils and paper plates for four. Anzar went home to Cebu for a week to see his mothers side of the family.

By the time I was finished, Lynelle woke up, yawning cutely and grinning at me. I grinned back at her gesture, motioning her towards the table. I mouthed 'eat na, baby,' as she ran, hugging me.

"I got you hotdogs and rice, baby. Do you want to eat?" I questioned, whispering, kneeling to reach her height, my eyes glistening.

"YAY! ATE HAS FOOD I'M SO HUNGRY YAYYYYYYY!!!!" Lynelle screeched, laughing in delight and leaping across the room. I lightly chuckled, asking her to calm down.

"Shush, baby! Your parents are still asleep." I whispered, placing my index finger to my lip.

"Oo nga pala, sorry!" She whispered, putting a peace sign up. I giggled.

"Sige nga, kain na baby!" I smiled, sitting her on the stool and placing a hotdog and two serving spoonfuls worth of rice.

"Tell me if you want more, okay?" I told her, as she devoured the rice rapidly.

"Ate, aren't you going to eat?" She questioned, her facial expression seeming confused.

"Wait lang, baby. I'll just fix your Kuya Darren's bed sheet, okay?"

"Sige po!" She exclaimed, realising she had to be quiet as she put her index finger on her lips.

I went over to Darren's bed, sighing.

"I'm sorry, Dragon Fruit. This is all my fault." I muttered, biting my lip.

I changed his bedsheets into a new one, tucking him in while doing so. Afterwards, I went back to Lynelle, who had finished her hotdog!

"Wow, baby! Ang galing mo! Gusto pa more?" I asked, overjoyed about how well she was eating.

"Yes please po!" She whispered.