xxiv. cupcakes and destruction

Semi-Finals

I'm here. I'm one of the top 6. I couldn't even contemplate on how I was here. My feet were shaking. My eyes were filled with anxiety. This whole thing could either mean that we have to live on the streets making an income for selling food, or that I could win and achieve a suitable home for my family and make life easier. What was it going to be?

Ugh, why am I so nervous? I shouldn't be. Ava, relax. Calm down, everything will go as planned. Just do your best no matter what. That's what dad would say, right?

Sighing, I attempted to stifle the tears about to escape from my exhausted, red eyes, composing myself whilst reaching out for my cherry blush. I forced a smile at the mirror, a failed attempt to comfort myself.

I turned around, immediately noticing the anxious vibes from everyone else. The staff were rushing around backstage, frantically making sure everyone was prepared, whilst the other contestants had their fists clenched, practicing their songs and others praying. JK was seeking for my attention, waving towards me, yet I ignored his interaction. Darren was occupied playing a game on his phone. How could he be so relaxed?

I approached Darren and shouted 'boo,' making him jump in shock. I giggled.

"What you doing?" I questioned, in the tune of Isabella from Phineas and Ferb, despite already knowing what he was doing.

"Game." He responded bluntly.

"Yun lang? Walang hi, or...bulaklak?" I muttered, winking.

"Haha. Miss mo na ako, no?" He teased, nudging me by the elbow and smirking.

"Hindi. Nag tatanong lang po." I justified sternly, raising my eyebrows.

"Talaga? I don't think so..." He smirked, handing me a box of Red Velvet Vixen Cupcakes and S'mores Tart Cupcakes.

"Wow! Cupcakes! Salamat! Pero, nasaan yung bulaklak?" I blushed and giggled.

"Choosy ka pa, diba I'm the one who's making ligaw? It's not like any one else likes you..." Darren retorted, as I poked my tounge at him.

"I'll have you know, there's An--" I was about to state before he pressed a cupcake on my mouth.

"Shut up and eat." He rolled his eyes jokingly.

We both sat down at his dresser and ate both boxes of cupcakes in delight, teasing each other by placing the cream on each other's faces. The rest of the kids were squealing and leaping behind us as we just giggled and continued to joke and be our goofy selves.

"Wait, you've got something on your mouth." He laughs and begins to wipe the cream off my mouth, staring into my crystal blue eyes deeply. I stared back. He smirked.

"Done." He smiles as we still stare into each other's eyes.

"ALRIGHT MGA TOP 6 THE SHOW IS ABOUT TO START PLEASE RETRIEVE YOUR MICROPHONES AND GET PREPARED FOR THE OPENING SONG!" The lady announces, rushing us to the technical part of backstage.

"Good luck, Ava." Darren whispers whilst winking, holding onto my necklace.

"Good luck to you too." I shakily reply.

As I was about to warm up, Evangeline came up to me. What does she want?

"Forgot about our little meeting, didn't you, Marielle."

"A, that's my middle name and it's the first name that you should call people by, mine being Ava. B, can't you see I'm busy with The Voice? That's why I said I was busy." I stated firmly, Evangeline rolling her eyes.

"I don't care you twit. Huwag kang philosopher. Don't you know who I am?" She retorted.

"Yeah, a low class dog desperate for love!" I shouted in anger. I couldn't take it anymore. Who does she think she is?

"You want to mess with someone like me, don't you Marielle? I know inside you're just a weak little soul crying out for her 'daddy!' Kawawa naman ikaw, trying to hard."

"Listen, I don't want any negative vibes here. It's clear that Darren likes me and not you do so back away. You have no right to steal him away from whoever he likes. Ava Marielle Sullivan, out!" I retaliated sharply, flicking my hair and sashaying away like a boss.

"Ugh! This isn't the end, Marielle!" Evangeline cried, running away.

Serves her right.

I walked to Darren, grinning like nothing happened.

JK

After what seemed like a cat fight between Ava Babes and Evangeline, I ran after Evangeline who seemed to look defeated. I had a plan. Even if it breaks Ava Babes' heart.

She's mine. Only mine.

"Evangeline?" I called out to her.

"What, Labajo?" She sharply replied, scowling.

"Aw, Angel...Like we haven't met before." I replied, smirking.

"That was in the past when my name was 'Baboyan,' I've changed for the better." She flicked her hair.

"Haha. Pig!"

"What do you want?"

"I've got a plan to destroy Ava Babes and Darren apart."

"Hm, interesting. Explain further." She smiled smugly as I sat down next to her.

Watch out, Espanto.