Chapter 16: Unsteady

*Veronica's POV*

"Girls like you don't go for guys like me... Please let me in?" He begged.

I could feel my heart hammering within my chest. I could practically feel the aching hole that had formed. Yet, when he said that, there was a small part of me that regained some hope. I tried to pull more air into my lungs. I could feel it coming in and out in labored breaths. It felt as if my throat was closing again, yet there were no hands around it this time.

"Please!" He urged me.

"Why?" I asked, sniffling.

"I need to talk to you and I'm not saying it through a door."

The small glimmer of hope was quickly blown out from his words. This was it. He was going to tell me that he thought I was pretty or something, but we were better as 'friends'. I don't know if i can stand that right now. Everything was tumbling down because I let myself get the better of me. I should have just let him dance. If I had, I wouldn't have to be going through this pain. I could only hope that Austin and Allison would be able to find another roommate on such short notice...

I hoped they would understand...

Fresh tears trickled out of my eyes, falling onto my shoulders. I quickly tried to get the sobbing back behind the wall I had built. I didn't need to ugly cry in front of him. I couldn't seem to get my whole self pulled together, but it would have to do. I would just be crying more after he left anyways.

I didn't move from my place next to the door. I let my trembling hand reach up to the cold handle. It felt like ice under my palm. My body had cooled down and I felt a shiver run through me.

Unlocking the door, I didn't glance up at it. I put my head on my arms that were resting on my knees. I made an attempt to make myself small, slightly hoping to disappear into the wall. I couldn't bare to see the pity on his face. I would feel even worse. There was a moment of silence before my ears detected the small click of the door giving way. It creaked as it cut through the stillness. Kyle bent down to my level. I could feel his presence in front on me. I refused to give him a glance. I knew that if I did, that would be it. I would lose any composer I was fooling myself into believing I had.

"Veronica, please. No, don't cry. Please. We just need to take a breath and talk about this. Please. I need to talk to you." He murmured to me.

Here it comes. Here was the whole "I'm just not interested in you that way. Were better as friends and nothing more," speech that you always hear about. I couldn't hear this. I need to leave. I mean, I knew it was coming. No need to make him say it. I began to shake my head from side to side on my arms. I have to go.

"No, no no!" I could feel my muscles wind up, releasing me upwards, not meeting his gaze. I flew passed him. My body was urging me to flee. It was as if it was trying to protect itself from the fall. My own personal parachute. I went over to my closet and yanked my suitcase out. I had to get out of here. That was the only thing that was going through my head at that moment.I threw my suitcase down on the bed, I went straight to my dresser to scoop up armfuls of clothes to shove into my bag.

"You don't have to tell me. I get it. You don't have to give me the whole," We're just friends" shpeel. I get it. I'll just pack my things. You don't have to tell me. I can text Austin and Allison and tell them that I'm sorry and that this just isn't going to work out. I really appreciated all that you guys have done for me and it's been really fun living here. Maybe we can all still meet up after all of this..." I could feel myself rambling, but I couldn't stop myself from speaking. It was like word vomit.

"Veronica, what are you talking? What's going on with you?" Kyle asked, following my every move as if he was my shadow. He was always a step behind me.