Chapter 14: Late, Late, Late

Veronica's POV***

I could hear my air bubbling within my throat, beneath Ethan's hand. My vision was littered with black blotches. My eyes began to twitch wildly as I felt what was left of me draining.  No thoughts crept up on me. I was just too exhausted to even think. Just before I was sure I would fade into darkness, I could just barely make out a loud crash, followed by what sounded like shouting. I tried to crane my head around, yet I just couldn't make the movement happen.  I was limp. 

The next thing I knew, the hand released its grip and I came crumbling to the ground. The ringing in my ears continued, though it seemed to resemble some form of actual noise now. My vision was still faded, seeing blurred images of what was actually there. I clawed at my throat, gasping, writhing on the ground. I forced air back into my lungs, feeling as if i was breathing in glass.

Finally being able to look up, I could make out the outline of Kyle standing between me and the man with wild eyes.

Ethan let out a bitter laugh, murder in his eyes at this point. 

"What? Is this you're boyfriend?" He barked out, knowing full well that I was unable to speak.

"Yes, I am. You need to leave. She's not yours anymore." Kyle spit out.

Kyle had this stance where he was half extended towards me, half to Ethan. His legs were outstretched, keeping distance between Ethan and me. I was still in a puddle on the lawn. Tears were bubbling over and down my cheeks. Ethan was practically foaming at the mouth. Kyle stared him down, face flushed with adrenaline. His chest was rising and falling at a heightened rate.

"Oh? And you think that she is yours?" 

The laugh that escaped his lips chilled me down to the bone, slicing through me like an iced knife.

Kyle nodded.

"She will never be yours. She will always be my bitch!"

Kyle stepped forward and in a flash, His fist made contact with Ethan's nose with an audible snapping noise. I shuttered from the sound, gasping at the force I was seeing Kyle display. Ethan stumbled back, almost tumbling on to his ass. He clutched his nose, blood trickling from the nostril in a steady stream of red. Ethan's eyes were wider than I had ever seen.

"Don't you DARE say that about Veronica. She never was, nor will she ever be 'your' bitch;  or anyone's for that matter! Now I suggest that you pack up your B grade greaser looking ass and get the hell out of here. Do not come back, or else it will be more than just your nose that is broken. And no that is not a threat. I promise you that." 

Kyle's voice echoed through the silent day. 

Kyle turned his attention back towards me. He rushed over, bending down to grasp at my arms. He looked into my eyes, brushing my hair that was sticking to the tears.

"You think you can walk?" He questioned in my ear. I nodded 

He slid his arms under mine, pulling me up and against him softly. He held me close to him, keeping his hands on my hips, making sure I was steady.

"Wait" I whispered, my voice hardly there. I cleared my throat and turned around slightly. I had to know. It had been eating away at me for years. If I didn't ask now, I would always be left with the burning feeling that I had done something wrong. I needed this to heal, finally.

"Ethan?" I strained my voice so he would hear.

He was walking back to his Jeep, but he quickly turned around. The blood was still trickling, yet he just let it fall. It looked as if it would stop soon anyways. His eyes met mine from across the lawn.