Chapter Twenty-Nine: Incomplete Crown

Chapter 29

Jamal looked around the stage at the screaming fans feeling the exhilarating rush of performing. He headed backstage, where Lola and Becky were waiting on him.

Lola rushed into his arms. "Daddy, where's Cori? You said she was coming."

"Yeah baby. She's supposed to be here." Becky handed him his phone and he quickly ran through his texts. Nothing from Cori. He texted Cori and turned to Lola. "She's probably at home Lola. Maybe she's not feeling well."

Lucious appeared with Cookie, Hakeem, Andre, and Rhonda. "We should go out to dinner. As a celebration."

Everyone nodded in agreement and got into Lucious' limo.

"Lola sweetie?" Cookie looked at Lola who was pouting in Jamal's arms. "What's wrong?"

Lola stayed quiet for a minute. "It's not a celebration Mom- I mean Cori's not there."

Everyone got quiet.

Jamal sighed. "Well maybe she's at home. What if she doesn't want to come?"

Lola eyed her father. "Then I don't want to go either."

Lucious sighed. "Can't have that, can we. Driver, stop by Jamal's flat."

Jamal groaned internally, Cori wouldn't like this.

Jamal headed to his flat with Lola already bounding up the steps. He had tried calling Cori and she didn't answer. Something was wrong. Cori didn't avoid him unless something was wrong.

Jamal and Lola looked around the flat. Cori wasn't there. Where was she?