Chapter Twenty-Eight: Heirs to the Throne

Chapter 28

Jamal walked through the double doors of Lucious Lyon's mansion once again. It had been two weeks since he last came in here with Lola, who spilled the beans on Cori. Jamal didn't mind too much as she was with family as she said anything, but he did give her a good talking to reminding her on the difference between public business and daddy's business.

Speaking of Lola, who was still asleep even though it was seven in the morning, Jamal laid her down on the couch and sat in the dining room next to his brother, Hakeem.

"Your box is over there." Andre said pointedly, motioning to the narrow box on the opposite side of the table. Jamal nodded and moved.

Lucious walked in, with a strut in his step and a new suit. Jamal looked at his father curiously. Had something changed since he saw him last?

Lucious walked to the head of the table. "Let me start by saying good morning."

His sons gave him a blank and confused stare.

Lucious chuckled quietly to himself. "Y'all might be wondering why I called all of this early in the morning. It's a new day and God has blessed with me with great health. I no longer have ALS. I have something else, but it's curable. So in return, I have a gift for each of you, including Lola and Cookie. Open yours Hakeem."

Hakeem opened his gift, not really caring what's inside until he saw what it was. It was jeweled gold collar, from the looks of the thing extremely expensive. It had gold wings, reminiscent of an Egyptian Pharaoh back in the day.

"Look son. I should have never tried to control you. You are your own man. Don't ever let nobody control you. So in apologies, you will have this gold wing necklace and a private jet."

Hakeem looked at him slightly stunned and nodded in thanks.

Lucious turned to Andre. "Open yours son."

Andre opened his to find a gold bejeweled cross.

"It's the Lion of Judah. You'll be given $100 million to start your own charity. Thank you for everything you taught me. I'm sorry for everything." Lucious said as Andre nodded his head in thanks.

Lucious finally turned to Jamal. "Now son, before you open it, I want to say a few things. I've horrible, horrible things to you. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have underestimated you. But now I see you're a man a father would be proud to have. I just want to say I love you, now open the box son."

Jamal opened his box and his breath caught in his throat. He lifted the golden scepter with a lion at the head and a diamond in his mouth. "What does this mean dad?"

Lucious smiled at him fondly. "Its yours. It means the Empire is yours son."

Cookie came strutting in, late of course, holding Lola. "Aww presents. What did all y'all get?"

No one said a word.

Lucious motioned for her to come next to him and Lola to sit by Jamal. "Jamal, lift up the cover in your box."

Jamal did, to find a beautiful silver tiara, encrusted with diamonds.

"That's for Lola. Baby girl, you are a princess and heir to the throne. Empire is your future. Although I know you don't understand what I'm saying, know that Grandpa loves you." Lucious said, smiling at Lola.

Jamal helped her put it on and was amazed to see that it was custom fit. Lola beamed.

"Now Cookie. Your gift. Open it." Lucious said tartly, motioning to the wooden box next to him.