Chapter Fifteen: Live in the Moment

Chapter 15

2014 PASSED IN a slow blur for Jamal.

He busied himself with his music- not putting anything out; just creating- getting closer and loving Michael, dropping Cori off to school, and messing around with Hakeem.

Hakeem had grown buffer and was now going to turn 18 in February. His sexual escapades had become much more raunchy, wild, and crazy. He now consumed alcohol with in an insane amount. His flirtatious attitude had developed even more.

Andre had grown even more distant from his brothers. Every word spoken to them had only one syllable. He and Rhonda had moved into an apartment 15 minutes from Empire.

Lucious still hadn't spoken to Jamal although he hadn't cut off Jamal like he initially said. He allowed Jamal to charge anything to his card but kept his distance from Jamal. Jamal had introduced Michael to his father, who sneered and ignored him.

Anika was now so close to Lucious that Lucious had invited her to live with him, which still shocked his sons.

Cookie was doing well in jail. She hadn't aged since she arrived and seemed to be calmer and tamer these last few months. She smiled a little more often and called Jamal once every two weeks on the phone. Jamal knew that she spent her other call on Hakeem, who never bothered to pick up the phone.

Cori was doing well, even though every few weeks she would come to work with a few bruises. It hurt Jamal's heart to see Cori push him away whenever he tried to intrude. She graduated her classes with honors and recommendations, but was now looking for a job. She applied to several places and Jamal secretly turned her application and resume into Empire.

His 20th birthday past. Jamal rubbed his slight beard, which he started growing despite protests from Cori, Becky, and Michael. He got a text from Andre, which seemed to be some automated reply from his phone, and a beanie and a bottle of champagne from Hakeem.

Apparently, Lucious forgot because when Hakeem mentioned it to their father, Lucious had a shocked look on his face.

Cori of course didn't forget. She baked him a red velvet double chocolate cake with gold and black icing. Cori never ceased to amaze him. She was a woman of many talents.

Anyway, his father had just purchased a brand new yacht and was throwing a party for the Empire artists and staff today. He was invited of course as Lucious' son and artist of Empire. Jamal didn't want to go but Hakeem begged him to.

Jamal stepped on the boat to see his baby brother being feed shrimp by one of the many girls surrounding him. Jamal rolled his eyes as he went to go look around. His father obviously spared no expense. Everything was decorated top quality, and Jamal knew Anika must have had a hand in it. The beautiful tapestries and high-quality finishing weren't what caught Jamal's eye; it was the beautiful shiny grand piano that sat in the middle of the room.

Jamal went to it and started messing around with the keys until he found a melody he liked. He used his phone to start a beat, playing it on the electric drum pads that he connected with the speaker. He continued playing the beat.

"Empire state of mind!" Hakeem shouted, bounding down the steps. Jamal turned to his brother, grinning. "Let's go!"

Things are looking up

I'm ready for tonight

I feel good, real good

Ain't nobody can deny.