Chapter One: The Meeting

Chapter 1

Corisande Truth Delacroix takes a deep breath. Just relax. She forces herself to calm down by blowing gently through her nose. She took the coffee table orders and placed them gently on the tray. Counting her steps, she held the tray with both hands and headed towards the table at the back of the room.

Upon placing the drinks in front of the customers, she took a passerby's half full glass of iced tea. She smiled proudly at herself. See? I knew you could do it! She told herself proudly as she toted her glass to the bin to put all the dirty dishes.

"Wham!-"

All of a sudden, she couldn't breathe. She hit into something heavy....and hard. The tray that was in her hand, slid under the table. And the drink...oh no...the drink!

She watched as the glass sailed into the air and fell on the table. The drink that was in the glass was dismembered from the cup and rained down all over the front of her white button down top and black apron, and all over her hair, which had been neatly tucked in a bun after hours of struggling. She gasped in shock.

So much for the first day on the job.

"I am so sorry."

She heard the voice before she saw him. A male voice that was not too deep but not too childlike. A mature voice. She looked up from the caramel colored hands that held her still to the owner. He was caramel color skinned, with a faint mustache, and warm chocolate brown eyes. Corisande studied the features of the stranger carefully. His eyes were delightfully framed with gorgeous lashes, his nose wasn't too big despite his obvious Black heritage. His lips though, his luscious lips, were wide and slightly plump and stretched into a concerned and confused smile.

"What?" She asked, slightly dazed.

"Are you okay?" The stranger repeated.

Corisande took a deep and shaky breath and took a step back, out of his arms.

"I think I am...Thanks" she whispered.

The stranger tilted his head and studied her carefully. He was about to say something but her supervisor, Hans, cut him off.

"'Ey! Corisande! Let's go. Finish cleaning up that damned mess and clock out. You know I pay you by the hour and you are only supposed to work two. Get a move on!" Hans yelled.

"Yes Sir." She called out a rushed to get the mop and yellow bucket and began mopping vivaciously. The stranger stood awkwardly to the side and watched her. She finished cleaning, apologized to the customers, grabbed her backpack, clocked out, and rushed out of the coffee shop. She shivered and looked up at the sky. It was getting pretty cold and it was only September. New York winters were horrible to her and she only lived in New York for two years.

Suddenly she felt a warmth enclose her body. Confused, she looked around her. The stranger with the pretty brown eyes was there, only this time shuffling his feet amongst the dead leaves on the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry again...you know...about the drink." He spoke softly.

"It's fine." She smiled reassuringly. "But I don't need your coat." She moved to give it back to him.

"Well then where is yours?" he countered.

Corisande blushed unable to answer. She didn't have a coat...at least not yet. She planned to get one, a good one, as soon as she saved up enough money.

The stranger looked like he understood without words. "Are you getting on the bus?" He motioned to the bus stop a block away. She nodded.

"I rather you not...there is only one bus this time of night, you have no coat, and you are all wet. Let me make it up to you and take you home." He led her to a sleek black Bentley.

Corisande raised a brow at the stranger. Last time she checked, he was in the same coffee shop as her. This coffee shop wasn't bad, but it was certainly for the lower middle class and business had not been going so well. Second thing was, who had cars in New York? There were trains, cabs, buses, and other forms of transportation. Who could afford a car, much less, such a nice looking one at that?

He opened the door for her and she got in. She looked around at the clean and modern interior. Was he a hustler? A criminal? Or worse? The stranger got in and started the car.

"What's your name anyhow?" he asked her.

"Corisande Delacroix." she answered.

"Address?"

She gave it to him.

"How old are you?"

"16 going on 17 next month."

The stranger smiled and began humming the song from The Sound of Music. Hope laughed. She hadn't seen that movie in ages.

"What about you?" she asked him.

"17" he said with a smile.

"With a car like this?" Corisande blurted out, then pursed her lips in embarrassment. "Sorry for being nosey."

The stranger laughed. Gosh! He sure is cute. Corisande thought.

"Don't be afraid to speak your mind...you remind me of my mom." With this thought, the stranger sobered instantly.

He pulled up to her apartment and looked around, not judging, but simply curious.

"Be safe" he said cautiously. "Goodbye"

"Bye...Wait...I don't even know your name!" she said as she got out the car.

"Jamal Lyon ma'am, at your service." He said genially before speeding away, leaving Corisande in her bewilderment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: 910

This is another Empire story that I am starting....This time I will try to stay committed. Please be patient as updates should be about once a week. The Update Challenge is 1 read, 1 vote, and 1 comment. Love y'all.

Reneejada