Chapter Twenty-Six: Handling Business

Chapter 26

Jamal looked around. The album release party was a success. After months of hard work; writing lyrics, composing tunes, recording songs, producing the music, editing, and finally making final masters for the album. He had stayed out of the limelight as much as possible, well as possible as a Lyon could do in the celebrity- thirsted world.

Lola was safely tucked into her bed at home with Cori. He promised her after the party, they'd have a much smaller version at his apartment as he wasn't going to allow her to stay up in the wee hours of the morning. Lola had moved in with him a month ago and was adjusting well. Lola adored Cori, perhaps even more than she did him, her very own father.

Jamal frowned as his fleeting thoughts rested on Cori. Cori had gotten a lot sicker this past month. She constantly threw-up and avoided breakfast. She ate weird things. She looked more tired. She even pushed her hours to later in the day and ended early in the evening. She was moody. This didn't sound very much like Cori. Every time Jamal would try to confront her, she would shy away from him and say she was fine. Jamal would have to trick her into going to the doctor with him.

"Jamal, this even turned out to be bigger than I thought." Jamal felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around. It was Lucious.

"Yeah man, this is a success." Hakeem winked at a beautiful girl passing by.

Jamal nodded. "Yup. How are sales Dad?"

Lucious looked around. "Just fine."

In a last attempt for a burst of publicity, Cookie had managed to pull both Hakeem's and Jamal's album release party into one big party at Leviticus. She headed it as 'the Lyon brothers coming together to change the music world' or something like that.

Lucious looked at Jamal. "Son let me talk to you in my office really quick."

Jamal shrugged at Hakeem and followed his father into his office. "Yes sir?"

Lucious sat down in his large ebony leather throne chair. "I listened to your album. It's decent. You finally out that song, ah what is it again? The song I wanted you to put as your single on your debut album."

Jamal sat down on a simple but comfortable couch. "You mean Good Enough?"

Lucious nodded. "Even though every song is about how much you hate me, it's still passable." Lucious sucked on a cherry from his champagne.

Jamal looked dumbfounded, not knowing what to say. He stared at his father. How much did he have to prove to this man to show him that he loved his father despite everything Lucious done to him?

Lucious avoided his gaze.

A knock was heard at the door and Becky and a security guard came in.

"Hey Lucious? Something came to you from Beretti." Becky said cautiously as the security guard handed Lucious a manila folder.

Lucious opened the folder, reading the contents.

"What is it Lucious?" Becky asked nervously.

Lucious scoffed, folding the papers in his palm and hitting the desk slightly. "It's a subpoena and a warrant. From court. Beretti is trying to sue me and Empire, because he still owns publishing rights to my early music."

Becky looked over his shoulder. "What are you going to do Lucious?"

Jamal wondered the same thing.

Lucious looked around his office, his relics, awards, books, the security guard, then Becky, before resting on Jamal. Jamal felt a chill down his spine as his father's green eyes pierced his brown ones.