Chapter Twenty: Coming Out

Chapter 20

"HEY JAMAL." JAMAL looked up to see his new and current boyfriend, Ryan Morgan.

Jamal smiled and gave him a brush on the lips. "What you doing here?"

Ryan shrugged. "Just taking pictures for your father's dumb documentary."

Jamal nodded. "You told me before that you weren't ashamed...Of being gay... Well what if your family doesn't want to come you to come out?"

Ryan shrugged again. "I'd say to forget about them. At the end of the day, those who truly support you, those people there are your real family."

Jamal sighed, pondering on that.

Ryan interrupted his thoughts. "Plus you should do it for your little girl. She loves you just the way you are. Show her you can be brave enough to do it and she'll have a great example to follow."

Jamal smiled, thinking on Lola. Somehow, she managed to wiggle her way into his heart, with her adorable grin and all the other little things she did. He'd do it. If he had to do it for anyone, he'd do it for her.

JAMAL WALKED INTO the white party with Cookie on one arm and Cori on the other.

"Why did you guys invite me to such a big party? I mean, their cameras everywhere and everyone here is famous." Cori said, trying to shield herself behind Jamal.

Cookie rolled her eyes. "Please girl. They got to see my stylist don't they? You deserve credit. And why you so nervous anyhow? You look prettier than everyone in this room...except me."

Jamal laughed. "Yeah what she said. Besides, you are advertising. People are honestly going to want to know who Cookie's stylist is. She'll point to you and you'll get more gigs."

"She could have just given them my card." Cori mumbled. Jamal rolled his eyes. "Come on, let me get these pictures over and done with." He turned to see Hakeem approaching with a dark beauty. "Hey Keem."

Hakeem looked slightly nervous. "Hey bro. Everyone, this is Camilla, my girlfriend."

Cori looked away. She never thought Hakeem was the type for older women. But you never know what's in people's closets.

Cookie, however nearly had a fit. Jamal pulled Cori away from the scene. "He is so on his own with this one. Besides, my dad wants me."

"Do I have to see him?" Cori sneered.

Jamal took a breath. "Not if you don't want to."

Cori straightened her shoulders. "I'll go. I want to see that snake squirm."

Jamal laughed at that reference and lead her to his father. Lucious was on the top balcony looking over. His eyes flashed gold once he saw Cori. He scowled but covered it up with a smirk.

"It's funny how we are always meeting in the balcony Ms. Connie. It's nice to see you again?" Lucious said, squinting at her figure.

Cori blanched at the mispronunciation of her name. Obviously, it was on purpose. "It's Corisande. But you can call me Corisande. And it's not so nice to see you though." She said with a cool attitude.

Lucious coughed and turned to his son. "You should do a song for these folks."

Jamal brightened. "Really?"