Chapter Twenty-Two: Broken-Hearted Girl

Chapter 22

Jamal yawned and snuggled deeper into the blankets. He felt refreshed. He felt a bundle of warmth at his side. He smiled in his sleep and rolled over to embrace it. He nuzzled closer to feel her curls and ran his hands down her curves- wait! Curls? Curves? Her?!

Jamal jerked up and felt his heart jump through his stomach and plummet down to his stomach. It was Cori sleeping besides him. It was Cori who was wrapped up in his bed sheets naked. It was Cori who was cuddled beside him. Jamal closed his eyes, internally groaning.

He had slept with his best friend.

Jamal moved quietly out of the bed, trying not to wake her up. He needed to get out of here. He needed to –

"Jamal?" Cori's sleep filled voice stunned him into immobility. She sat up, looking at him and wincing.

Jamal stiffened, staring at her unable to speak.

"Are you feeling better? If you are up to it, we can go get something to eat or maybe go to the park. Whatever you want to do." Cori continued to ramble on.

Jamal looked at her face, his heart breaking. He turned away, unable to look at her hopeful face. "We shouldn't have done this."

Cori looked at him, dumbfounded. "What?"

"We um...I actually wasn't thinking clearly last night." Jamal picked up his robe, putting it on.

Cori's face fell. "I can't believe this." She got up, and began looking for her clothes.

Jamal couldn't leave her like this. "Look...It was great but-'

"But nothing!" Cori whirled around, tears running down her cheeks. "I swear...I asked you and you...dammit." Cori rushed out of the room getting the rest of her clothes.

Jamal bit his lip. "Cori listen...you are the closest thing to me, but I just don't want to go there with you. I don't want to mess us up-" he tried to start again but Cori interrupted.

"Just fuck off Jamal." She said slamming the door, leaving his apartment.

Jamal trudged back to his bedroom, about to lie down, but noticed the mess on the sheets. He didn't need anything to remind him of her right now. He began pulling off the sheets. He paused noticing the redness on the sheets.

He sat down on the bed, head in his hands.

He took his best friend's virginity.

Cori started the cold trek to her apartment. Stupid Jamal. He made her feel like she was a slut. Stupid her. She should have known that Jamal wouldn't love her that way. He was weak and so was she. He took advantage of her presence and willingness and Cori took advantage of his slight drunkenness.

Cori didn't notice through her tears and thoughts, that she had arrived to her house.

Hopefully, Mama was asleep.

But things don't go as one hopes.

As she opened the door, her mama was sitting on the couch in a drunken stupor.

Cori wiped the tears from her face. "Come on mama, it's time for you to go to bed."

Jenny looked at her, critical. "So you think you can go out whoring all night and then come in my house and tell me what to do? And don't tell me you didn't...I can smell him on you, you slut."

Cori looked away. She couldn't deny it.

Jenny puffed a cigarette and blew the smoke in Cori's face, causing her to cough.

"Why ain't this place cleaned yet?" Jenny asked tartly.

Cori shrugged, still limping from her nightly exercise, and began to pick up the mess in the living area.

Jenny's eyes followed her body.

Cori finished. "You want me to cook you something Mama?"

"No."

"No?"

"No. I want your ass out my house."

Cori looked up at her mother, stunned. "What?"

"Get the hell out my house. Take your shit and go away."

"B-but where am I goin' go Mama?" Cori stuttered.

Jenny puffed at her cigarette. "Don't know. Don't care. Just not here. I ain't raising no hoes."

"B-but M-mama?!"

"GET OUT OF MY LIFE" Jenny shouted, throwing a bottle over Cori's head.

Cori stood for a minute, mouth agape, before running to her spot, sobbing and grabbing her things. "Y-yes Mama." She whispered as she slipped out the house.

Jamal's phone rang. Jamal groaned. He didn't feel like answering or talking to anyone today. He checked the caller ID. It was Cookie. Jamal groaned. He didn't know what his mother had to say and he wasn't quite sure he wanted to hear it.

Reluctantly, he brought the phone to his ear. "Hey mum."

"Jamal?" Cookie's loud and Philly-touched accent came through his speaker. "Boy, we need you here at Empire. We got a situation."

Jamal sat up. "What is it ma?"

Cookie huffed. "Apparently, your baby mama, Olivia, left Lola in the elevator by herself. She put the elevator on lock. Baby girl is terrified and that bitch-and-so-called-mother left her there with no trace or contact."

Jamal winced, pinching his nose. "Alright. Tell Lola that I'm coming soon. I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Ok boy, but you better hurry the hell up. My grandbaby can't wait forever." Cookie hung up the phone.

Jamal groaned. He had enough of women to last a lifetime. The crying, the hormones, the emotions that came with relationships were exhausting. He didn't want it. Life was so confusing. He wasn't even sure for sure what he wanted. Olivia was leaving their kid and Cori was leaving him. Let's hope Lola was better.